You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

One of two thunderbolt ports not working on 2017 MBP 13inch

I was using both ports for charging, and both ports worked. The other day I went to use the port and it wasn't working, it was after I plugged a thunderbolt adapter in and tried charging through that. 1 port work and the other doesn't. I have reset nvram, smc, booted in safe mode, ran apple diagnostics check, reinstalled Mac OS, and none of these have fixed it. The only way to get it working is by plugging the charger in the broken port before the Mac is booted up, then once the Mac boots up it will charge through the broken port, but as soon as I unplug the charger, and try and plug it back in, the port won't work until I restart Mac again. Im hoping its an issue I can sort myself, as I only bought this MacBook second hand a few days ago, and really don't want to go through the hassle of taking Mac to apple store, especially during covid.

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 9:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2020 1:18 PM

My guess is there was some dirt or liquid stuck on the connector in the port. Plugging and unplugging the cable multiple times probably clean the connector a bit so the cable has a better electrical connection now.

Similar questions

8 replies

Oct 23, 2020 7:20 PM in response to Raichu0204

Try using another charger and charging cable just in case the problem is with one of those items.

Otherwise I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are going to need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider provide you with a repair estimate. Since you have the non-Touchbar model the USB-C ports are a part of the Logic Board so expect an expensive repair (expect to pay at least $500 US).

Also, you should check to see if the laptop qualifies for this free Apple SSD repair program:

https://support.apple.com/13-inch-macbook-pro-solid-state-drive-service

FYI, here is the current list of publicly acknowledged free repair programs for various Apple products (some products such as your laptop have multiple programs available):

https://support.apple.com/service-programs

Oct 25, 2020 10:14 AM in response to Raichu0204

You have some sort of hardware issue. I'm not sure from reading your post whether the other USB-C port is working or not, but it really doesn't matter:

• If one port is working correctly, but the other one is not working correctly, then you have a hardware issue with the I/O ports.
  • If one port is not working at all, but the other port "sort of works", then you have a hardware issue with the I/O ports.

Since you have the non-Touchbar model the I/O Ports are hardwired to the Logic Board and will require a Logic Board replacement. You need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to confirm since I cannot see the laptop myself and my diagnosis is based solely on what you've described here.

Oct 24, 2020 7:01 AM in response to HWTech

so there's nothing wrong with the charger, as it charges in the other port. I don't think its a hardware issue, as it works if plugged in before the laptop boots. this means its the operating system when booted stopping it working, so I think its to do with Catalina, as its a new os and has bugs. its not worth me getting fixed for that price, when I only paid 460pounds for the laptop. I'm going to have to hope I'm right about it being the os, I may try and install Mojave on and see if it fixes it.

Oct 24, 2020 10:23 AM in response to Raichu0204

Raichu0204 wrote:

so there's nothing wrong with the charger, as it charges in the other port.

USB-C cables can fit in two directions. Maybe one way the cable plugs in will work and another way it will not work. It isn't always easy to rule out the cable and charger unless you have another set to test with.

I don't think its a hardware issue, as it works if plugged in before the laptop boots. this means its the operating system when booted stopping it working,

When the laptop isn't booted the laptop doesn't need all that much power. When the laptop is booted it consumes a lot more power. Some part of your hardware isn't able to deliver this extra power needed to run the whole system. My guess is the Logic Board is bad (probably had some damage to the USB-C ports).

One of two thunderbolt ports not working on 2017 MBP 13inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.