You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restart to update to Catalina 10.15.7 is restarting without updating

My mac is asking me to restart to update on Catalina 10.15.7. The Computer is restarting but is not booting with the updated software but with the previous version.

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 1:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 6:45 PM

First, open About This Mac from the Apple menu. Verify the version of macOS that is installed. To update to 10.15.7, you must have 10.15.6 already installed. To update from any prior version of .Catalina, you need to use the 10.15.7 Combo Updater - Download and Install the macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Combo Update. I recommend always using Combo updaters because they cause few problems.

Second, use Disk Utility to run First Aid on your startup volume:

Repair the Drive for El Capitan or Later

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and press the Continue button.
  3. Then select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the Device list. 
  4. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar and wait for the Done button to activate. Click on it, then quit Disk Utility.
  5. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Third, look at this check list:

.Before You Upgrade macOS

1. Fix any problems before upgrading.
  2. Run First Aid in Disk Utility while booted from your Recovery HD.
  3. Backup. Make a bootable clone using CarbonCopy Cloner or use TimeMachine.
  4. Be sure your startup disk has 18-20GB of free space during the installation. More space is better.
  5. Upgrade third-party software for compatibility. See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps. If you have mission critical software, then DO NOT upgrade until you know that software is compatible with the version of macOS you are about to install.
  6. Disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  7. Download the installer which will be in the Applications folder. Quit the installer after it opens, then make a copy of the installer and save it in the Downloads folder. The one in the Applications folder will be deleted after a successful installation.
  8. The download is large, anywhere between 8-9GBs. It takes time to complete. Be patient.
  9. Double-click on the installer in the Applications folder. Click on the start button to begin the installation.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 2, 2020 6:45 PM in response to gericke007

First, open About This Mac from the Apple menu. Verify the version of macOS that is installed. To update to 10.15.7, you must have 10.15.6 already installed. To update from any prior version of .Catalina, you need to use the 10.15.7 Combo Updater - Download and Install the macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Combo Update. I recommend always using Combo updaters because they cause few problems.

Second, use Disk Utility to run First Aid on your startup volume:

Repair the Drive for El Capitan or Later

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and press the Continue button.
  3. Then select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the Device list. 
  4. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar and wait for the Done button to activate. Click on it, then quit Disk Utility.
  5. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Third, look at this check list:

.Before You Upgrade macOS

1. Fix any problems before upgrading.
  2. Run First Aid in Disk Utility while booted from your Recovery HD.
  3. Backup. Make a bootable clone using CarbonCopy Cloner or use TimeMachine.
  4. Be sure your startup disk has 18-20GB of free space during the installation. More space is better.
  5. Upgrade third-party software for compatibility. See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps. If you have mission critical software, then DO NOT upgrade until you know that software is compatible with the version of macOS you are about to install.
  6. Disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  7. Download the installer which will be in the Applications folder. Quit the installer after it opens, then make a copy of the installer and save it in the Downloads folder. The one in the Applications folder will be deleted after a successful installation.
  8. The download is large, anywhere between 8-9GBs. It takes time to complete. Be patient.
  9. Double-click on the installer in the Applications folder. Click on the start button to begin the installation.

Oct 24, 2020 1:17 PM in response to gericke007

If you are currently running an earlier version of Catalina, then updating requires using Software Updates preferences. You may also try Downloading and Installing the macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Combo Update.

Please read Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question. We are here to help. We are all users. We are not mind-readers nor clairvoyants. We only know what you write down and tell us. Be specific and thorough. Try to write clearly. Think about what you want to say before you write it down, then re-read it to see if it makes sense. We need the following at a minimum:

• What specific product model do you have? Avoid just saying, "iPhone or Mac," because that doesn't describe it uniquely.
  • Tell us the version of iOS or Mac OS that you have installed on your machine.
  • Provide a short but complete summary of your question, problem, or issue. (No complaints, please.)
  • Give us all the details of your question, problem, or issue. Make your descriptions clear and precise but don't be wordy. Like Joe Friday used to say, "Just the facts." Be sure you provide any other details that we should know.
  • Detail what you have tried, so far, to solve your problem even if it's "nothing."
  • Provide images/snapshots appropriate to your descriptions. Pictures are worth 1,000 words.

Note: If English is not your native language, please let us know. Perhaps you would be better served by posting in your native language. If you do, then understand that getting a reply may take more time. Most of the helpers are native English speakers but some of us are bi- or multi-lingual. Unfortunately, English is my only language. I am able to use translators if I know what your native language is. However, I will be slower in responding.

FYI: These are user-only communities. This is not Apple Support. if you need to contact Apple Support, then contact product and tech supportContacting Apple for support and service includes international calling numbers.

The Apple Support Communities only provides help for users of Apple products. Apple does not read theae forums. If you wish to provide feedback to Apple, then go to Apple Feedback. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Nov 2, 2020 1:44 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks you for your comment and advice! I am sorry that my English is not better, I am Swiss German native speaker. But I think the point is clear. I downloaded the update 10.15.7 and restart as told in the window. The mac restarts but is not starting with the new version. Meanwhile I saw other posts, several hundreds, which have the same problem. If there is a specific need for minimal GB left, how much is this and if I have plenty of GB in the icloud is this helping or not?

Restart to update to Catalina 10.15.7 is restarting without updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.