You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erasing old iPhone after Apple ID has been changed

My daughter has an old iPhone 5, which I want to factory reset for her, so it can be used as a child's phone. However, it can't be erased without the Apple ID and password. But since it was last used, she changed her ID. At the erasure screen, there is no option to change the ID, only to enter the password for the old ID. We have the old password, but before trying it, I want to be sure this won't cause a problem with her current ID / iCloud account. The old phone has been removed from the device list on the current account. Does anyone know:

1. Will Apple recognise the old ID as related to the current iCloud account with the new ID?
  2. If it will, does signing in on the old iPhone, in order to erase it, cause it to (eg) try to back up?
  3. If it will not, is there any way to erase the old phone? Other than running over it.

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 7:50 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Oct 29, 2020 2:08 PM in response to rjp123

Hi rjp123,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand you'd like to gather additional information prior to restoring an iPhone to factory settings. We'll be happy to help.

If the Apple ID account that was created for your child is new, there would be no impact for your child's Apple ID account. Now, if the email address was changed to a new Apple ID account, then we suggest to review these two helpful articles: Change your Apple ID and What to do after you change your Apple ID or password

In addition, prior to restoring an iPhone, we recommend to review these steps: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Kind regards.

Erasing old iPhone after Apple ID has been changed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.