You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anytime I try to take a screenshot, the image does not capture what

Anytime I try to take a screenshot, the image does not capture what's on my screen - it takes a screenshot of my desktop background instead

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 27, 2020 4:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2020 1:10 PM

Hello mikecoch,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are unable to take a screenshot on your Mac as expected. To help with this, please see if taking a screenshot in a different way with the steps in this Apple resource help with your situation:

Take screenshots or screen recordings on Mac

Cheers!

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 30, 2020 1:10 PM in response to mikecoch

Hello mikecoch,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are unable to take a screenshot on your Mac as expected. To help with this, please see if taking a screenshot in a different way with the steps in this Apple resource help with your situation:

Take screenshots or screen recordings on Mac

Cheers!

Oct 30, 2020 1:13 PM in response to mikecoch

Tell us exactly how are going about that screenshot. Are you using one of the shortcuts Cmd-Shift-3 (or -4)? Something else?

Do you have only one screen? Or more?

What mac, OS, etc?

Maybe there is a third party system modification involved. Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Oct 31, 2020 3:39 AM in response to mikecoch

Maybe that key is not doing what you expect.

Does it work if you take a screenshot using Command-Shift-3?

You may want to go to System Preferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts, click Screenshots on the left and assign that particular key in place of Command-Shift-3,4, or 5. I’d assign it in place of Command-Shift-5 to call the Screenshots application, and leave -3 and -4 at their defaults.

Anytime I try to take a screenshot, the image does not capture what

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.