You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Basic Questions About Local File Storage in OS Catalina

Folks, please be patient with me. I have 30+ years' experience working on computers, including 12 years on an iMac (OS Snow Leopard) and when I bought my current computer, MacBook Pro, OS Catalina 10.15.7, I read the MacBook user's manual and also the OS Catalina manual. All that said, I am still unsure about some very elementary matters about data file management on my new MacBook.

1. If I want to store data files on the hard drive of the MacBook, I can open Finder, open Macintosh HD, open the Users folder, then open my own user account (let's call it "Jonah") and create folders to store data files locally. Correct?
  2. If I download data files into MacintoshHD>Users>Jonah>Downloads (i.e., the downloads folder that exists in the "original factory settings" in Catalina), then those data files are stored on the hard drive in my MacBook Pro, right? So when I use Time Machine to back up files to an external hard drive, they get backed up and are available to be restored if the data on the hard drive in my MacBook Pro is lost, right?
  3. I am (successfully!) using iCloud to sync photos between my iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro. When I bought the MacBook Pro, I had to manually transfer all my photos from my old iMac. After doing so, in Finder, it appears that the photo files are stored locally in MacintoshHD>Users>Jonah>Pictures>Photo Library. Do I understand that correctly? The files are not simply on iCloud with no local file storage?
  4. I am (also successfully!) using iCloud to sync my various document files (.pdf, .doc, .docx) with my iPhone and iPad and MacBook Pro. Because I had to transfer my files manually from my old iMac, and because I didn't know what I was doing, I put all my document files on a USB drive and copied them all into a folder that was already on my MacBook Pro, called "Documents." Now that I am getting to know my MacBook better, I see that this "Documents" folder is listed under a small-print sub-title that says "iCloud." So the files in this Documents folder are not on the hard drive on my MacBook Pro? When I use Time Machine to back up onto an external hard drive, I am not making local back up copies of my document files?
  5. I had to manually transfer my old iTunes files (200 CDs, ripped by me and uploaded onto my old iMac). It seems that they are in this location: MacintoshHD>Users>Jonah>Music>iTunes>iTunes Music>Music. So those files are on the hard drive on my MacBook Pro? And when I use Time Machine to back up onto an external hard drive, I am making local back up copies?

Thanks in advance for helping me re-learn the basics of file management in the age of Catalina and the iCloud.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 2:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 2:48 PM

1. Correct
  2. Right
  3. Maybe, maybe not. Photos not stored locally are not backed up via Time Machine. With iCloud Photos, your photos are stored locally with the possible exception that if you have turned on Photos > Preferences > iCloud > Optimize Mac Storage, some or all of them may only have a space-saving optimized version stored locally. See the following from Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

If you turn on Optimize Storage, iCloud Photos automatically manages the size of your library on your device. Your original photos and videos are stored in iCloud and space-saving versions are kept on your device. Your library is optimized only when you need space, starting with the photos and videos you access least. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them. You can use Optimize Storage on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac.

If you turn on Download Originals, iCloud Photos keeps your original, full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and on your device.

4 - iCloud Drive is similar -- files may or may not have a local copy on your Mac and only local copies are backed up by Time Machine. See the following from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you need more space on your device, iCloud Drive can help. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud. Turn on Optimize Mac Storage. Then your Mac keeps all of your recent files on your computer, but keeps your older ones only in iCloud, ready for you to download when you need them again

5 - Yes

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 1, 2020 2:48 PM in response to Jonah1-3

1. Correct
  2. Right
  3. Maybe, maybe not. Photos not stored locally are not backed up via Time Machine. With iCloud Photos, your photos are stored locally with the possible exception that if you have turned on Photos > Preferences > iCloud > Optimize Mac Storage, some or all of them may only have a space-saving optimized version stored locally. See the following from Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

If you turn on Optimize Storage, iCloud Photos automatically manages the size of your library on your device. Your original photos and videos are stored in iCloud and space-saving versions are kept on your device. Your library is optimized only when you need space, starting with the photos and videos you access least. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them. You can use Optimize Storage on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac.

If you turn on Download Originals, iCloud Photos keeps your original, full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and on your device.

4 - iCloud Drive is similar -- files may or may not have a local copy on your Mac and only local copies are backed up by Time Machine. See the following from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you need more space on your device, iCloud Drive can help. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud. Turn on Optimize Mac Storage. Then your Mac keeps all of your recent files on your computer, but keeps your older ones only in iCloud, ready for you to download when you need them again

5 - Yes

Basic Questions About Local File Storage in OS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.