You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie won't share

There is supposed to be a timer icon appearing in the right corner of the screen to show progress in creating the export file. I never happens. I fill out all the fields and then, nothing. Tried it with "email" and with "File"

OS X10.14.6

Plenty of memory and CPU power

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 9:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 11:22 AM

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your time and effort. I read the thread you mentioned. Decided to check out Apple Support and all they want to talk about is upgrading to Catalina, which I supposed isn't really a stretch. I've been planning to anyway, even though some of my software still talks about "issues" with it. What is this, Windows?

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 2, 2020 11:22 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your time and effort. I read the thread you mentioned. Decided to check out Apple Support and all they want to talk about is upgrading to Catalina, which I supposed isn't really a stretch. I've been planning to anyway, even though some of my software still talks about "issues" with it. What is this, Windows?

Nov 2, 2020 10:57 AM in response to edgework

O.K. The CompressorKit error is very pesky and has been reported frequently on this forum of late. It seems to be related to an iTunes update that implants a 64 bit architecture into the system library. Thus, some people have solved this by upgrading to Catalina, that is a 64 bit operating system. However, that would render inoperable any legacy 32 bit programs that you may have on your Mac, and also some legacy media would not play in iMovie and would need to be converted. Sometimes booting up in Safe Mode (see Finder menu for instructions) and immediately shutting down and rebooting in normal mode helps.

Recently there has been a breakthrough on this issue, discovered by nicocaro, who posted a solution on this forum. Below is a link to the thread where he describes how to solve the problem by removing a 64bit architecture from an iTunes

update.  Other posters have successfully tried the solution.

Here's the link to nicocaro's solution:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251266351

And here as well:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251352619

After doing the above your iPhone likely will not sync, although iMovie will

work.  To get your iPhone to sync again, see this link that solves that issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251916124?answerId=253660165022&login=true

Here's another link, though older, that describes what others have tried with the Compressor Kit Error:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8265338

There may be some proposed solutions in the above link that will work for you.

All else failing, try calling Apple Support. The techs there are very savvy and also have the capability of remotely accessing your computer. Click on the Contact Support item in the upper right hand corner of this screen and navigate

to a place where you can provide your telephone number so that Apple Support can call you back. I think that the file path is Contact Support/Mac OS/Applications/iMovie. Good luck with this.

If you have time, post back with your results, as it may assist others who have this perplexing issue, and will contribute to our data base.

-- Rich

Nov 2, 2020 7:58 AM in response to edgework

Check to make sure that you have sufficient free space on your destination drive if you are using an external drive. Also, look for corruption in your project by expanding your timeline and slowly scrolling through the clips. Look for black frames, white flashes, artifacts and other signs of corruption. Cut out any that you find and then try to share out. If you cut out things you might want to work with a duplicate project so as to preserve your original.

Is "iMovie share failed" the full text of the error message? If not, would you provide the full text?

Post back with your results. If still no success in sharing, I can provide you with some diagnostic procedures to work through.

-- Rich

iMovie won't share

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.