You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

previous passwords on keychain

My wife saved over a keychain password, she hit update before the site accepted the new password, is it possible to retrieve the old password?

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 3, 2020 1:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2020 1:48 AM

Phase Angle Said:

"previous passwords on keychain: My wife saved over a keychain password, she hit update before the site accepted the new password, is it possible to retrieve the old password?"

-------

Yes, Through a Recovery:

Have a backup of any of your devices? If so, restore a device from it - a device that contains this password.

Try A Circular Recovery:

Let's say you have a backup of a Mac. You would perform the following on it. Theoretically, it would be a circular recovery: Backup > Restore > Export > Restore

1. Backup: the Mac today
  2. Restore: the Mac from a backup with this password
  3. Export: Keychain items of this restored Mac to the Keychain
  4. Restore: the Mac from backup you creates in step 1

Go Here: Import and Export Keychain Items Using Keychain Access on Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 3, 2020 1:48 AM in response to Phase Angle

Phase Angle Said:

"previous passwords on keychain: My wife saved over a keychain password, she hit update before the site accepted the new password, is it possible to retrieve the old password?"

-------

Yes, Through a Recovery:

Have a backup of any of your devices? If so, restore a device from it - a device that contains this password.

Try A Circular Recovery:

Let's say you have a backup of a Mac. You would perform the following on it. Theoretically, it would be a circular recovery: Backup > Restore > Export > Restore

1. Backup: the Mac today
  2. Restore: the Mac from a backup with this password
  3. Export: Keychain items of this restored Mac to the Keychain
  4. Restore: the Mac from backup you creates in step 1

Go Here: Import and Export Keychain Items Using Keychain Access on Mac - Apple Support

Nov 3, 2020 1:51 AM in response to Phase Angle

1)Click on Finder > Go > Utilities > Keychain Access. The Keychain Access window displays.

2)From the Keychain Access menu, select Preferences.

3)Click Reset My Default Keychain. This removes the login Keychain password and prompts you to create a new one.

4)In the Password field, enter your Active Directory (AD) password (what you log into the computer with). This syncs the Keychain password to your current login password.

5)If desired, click the checkbox to enable Show Password.

6)Click OK. A window displays stating your Old Keychain password has been renamed.

7)Click OK.

If Reset My Default Keychain is not available, click Edit > Keychain List > Click Show > Ensure “user” is selected > Click to select the Login Keychain > Click the Minus sign (-) button to delete > The next time you log into your Macintosh, be sure to click the checkbox to Remember this password in my keychain.

Best

previous passwords on keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.