You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Free Malwarebytes download

Free Malwarebytes does not download to my iMac running Catalina

Posted on Nov 4, 2020 5:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2020 8:37 PM

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues.

Isolating an issue by using another user account   

12 replies

Nov 6, 2020 5:36 AM in response to mariefromnewengland

Then it's very likely there isn't anything. You only asked how you could download MalwareBytes and get it to run.

The only thing you suggested that worried you was about your printer. If you have an HP printer, then is a very well known goof-up by HP. Try the following:

A. Get the most recent HP drivers, either from:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essentials-S-5_14_8_4.pkg

or

HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for OS X

or

System Preferences/Software update (it wasn’t there on my MBP, however)

B. Run the installer.

C. When the installer completes, go to System Preferences/Printers & Scanners, highlight the HP printer and remove it. Then add it back. This is necessary because otherwise it will continue to use the now unsigned drivers and it will appear that the problem has not been fixed. Apparently installing the update does not remove the old drivers.

A note on AirPrint: Your Mac may say it can’t find the AirPrint printer. If that should happen, reboot your router.

If you're still getting a message about some HP print module as "dangerous", repeat the above, but before the first step, go to the /Library/Printers folder and put the entire HP subfolder in the trash.

Nov 5, 2020 6:49 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you, Eric for the great advice. I set up a 2nd admin acct., and was able to download and install the free Malwarebytes. The scan was run and showed no issues. The reason I needed Malwarebytes was that when I went to use my HP laser jet printer I got messages saying malware would damage my iMac if I printed. I uninstalled the printer and then reinstalled the software, and there were no further popups.

Thank you, again, Eric.

Free Malwarebytes download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.