You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Synchronizing clips after the fact

Hello everybody!

I love FCP's synchronize feature. So far, it really does work like magic.

So normally you would select audio/video clips in the browser, right click and you're done.

But what if I have an ongoing project where I'm adding new clips all the time. The sync clip option is gone once I am in the newly created clip (where I do all my editing).

How do I sync new shots to this sequence?

In this instance, I'm recording a dance performance and adding individual parts as the shoot goes on. I would sync all clips at once except I like to work on it as it goes.

I hope this makes sense. Thank you!

Posted on Nov 4, 2020 4:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2020 5:39 PM

For that, as Terry said, you use the multicam clip. Edit it into a project and then use the angle viewer to switch between the shots.

This is old but you can read about working with it here. It hasn’t changed.

http://www.fcpxbook.com/updates/multicam1/

Similar questions

8 replies

Nov 4, 2020 5:00 PM in response to NoAnswers

How many cameras/sources of the performance do you have? I'm not sure if it's applicable in your situation but have you considered using the multicam feature with all your footage sync'd together and then choosing the angle that you'd like to see at any given moment? <https://support.apple.com/guide/final-cut-pro/multicam-editing-workflow-ver10e087fd/mac>

Nov 4, 2020 5:35 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

haha! I had a feeling this would be a taboo. I edited a TEDx talk this way.. two video angles synced with one audio source. Double clicked the synced clip and cut between the angles with the blade tool and 'v' for disabling a section of the clip that's not in use.

I realize this is probably very sloppy. and you can probably tell I don't know how to use Multicam (yet).

I just don't know why I would do what you said when it's just 1 performance start to finish. 2 angles with 1 audio source

Nov 4, 2020 5:38 PM in response to terryb

I'm trying to learn Multicam tonight actually to see if it's easier (I imagine it is). Everything comes from one camera, clips shot at different time periods. Lets say I sync 5-6 video clips and 1 sound source... go shooting the next week and want to add the new stuff into the Multicam sequence.. would I be able to do that easily?

Sorry if this is all confusing. I'm confusing myself. I just have these primitive and archaic ways of using FCP. They've worked for years but I want to advance that learning.

Synchronizing clips after the fact

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.