You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not connect external monitor to new Macbook Air 2020 - arrangment tab does not show

Hi! I recently bought a new Macbook Air, which I use with an HP 27f Full HD Display external monitor, connected with an Apple adapter. This setting worked on my old Macbook Pro, it also worked on the new Macbook Air in the beginning, now it does not detect the ext display anymore. The arrangement tab does not show. It does work on my daughter's Macbook Air 2018 model.

Software is up to date - running on macOS Catalina 10.15.7.

Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 4, 2020 11:56 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Nov 9, 2020 11:55 AM in response to gunib

Hi gunib,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today connecting your new MacBook Air to an external monitor.

Since both you and your daughter own a MacBook with Thunderbolt 3 Ports: Identify the ports on your Mac and hers works fine through the adapter, it does seem like yours should be working as well.

As your computer was working with the adapter and external monitor previously, we'd first suggest trying to reset the SMC on yours: How to reset the SMC of your Mac. Resetting the NVRAM may be helpful as well: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, test inside a new user account. This would help isolate the issue on your Mac to system-wide or your user. Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac.

This article may also be worth reviewing: Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac.

Let us know how it goes.

Have a fantastic day!

Can not connect external monitor to new Macbook Air 2020 - arrangment tab does not show

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.