You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I download all my full size photos from iCloud into my iPhotos?

I bought a Mac with 2TB of storage in order to download full copies of my photos from iCloud onto my hard drive. When I select the setting in iPhotos "Download Originals to this Mac" - nothing happens. I waited for a few days, but I am not seeing actual downloads, the computer storage appears empty.

Can someone help me figure out how to download the photos from iCloud onto my Mac?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 9:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 12:09 PM

To create a new library with all of the photos as full sized originals do the following;

1 - create a new Photos library.

2 - make it the System Photo Library.

3 - enable iCloud Library.

4 - DO NOT enable "Optimize Mac Storage".

5 - wait, wait and wait some more. As I recall it took about 1 week for a library of 40K photos.

It will take a while to download all of the photos in your library. Leave your Mac on at night (plugged into the charger). Photos doesn't have to be opened.

6 - when the download is over verify all of the photos are in the library before deleting your original library.

7 - you can then disable the iCloud Library in Photos and stop using iCloud - or not.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 6, 2020 12:09 PM in response to northsky3

To create a new library with all of the photos as full sized originals do the following;

1 - create a new Photos library.

2 - make it the System Photo Library.

3 - enable iCloud Library.

4 - DO NOT enable "Optimize Mac Storage".

5 - wait, wait and wait some more. As I recall it took about 1 week for a library of 40K photos.

It will take a while to download all of the photos in your library. Leave your Mac on at night (plugged into the charger). Photos doesn't have to be opened.

6 - when the download is over verify all of the photos are in the library before deleting your original library.

7 - you can then disable the iCloud Library in Photos and stop using iCloud - or not.

How do I download all my full size photos from iCloud into my iPhotos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.