You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after updating Apple TV HD and HomePod stereo pair to 14.2 sound for videos no longer plays on the HomePods

I updated my HomePods and AppleTV HD to 14.2. I can no longer set the audio output device to be my HomePod stereo pair. I have reset both sets of devices, I get navigation sounds over the HomePods, but once a video starts playing the sound comes out of the horrible tv speaker.

Apple TV HD, tvOS 14

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 3:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 5:23 PM

Despite what many people are writing, you can still use your HomePod pair (or single) with your AppleTV-HD and TV using tvOS 14.2 and HomePod OS 14.2. The AppleTV setting for "Audio Output" no longer shows up on an ATV-HD in tvOS 14.2 but it does as "Default Audio Output" on an ATV-4K. To get paired HomePods as speakers using an ATV-HD, you have to use the Remote. Press and hold the TV button on the Remote until the control panel shows up, then select the AirPlay-2 icon and select your paired HomePods (or a single one) from the displayed list. You get stereo as before tvOS 14.2 but not the Dolby Audio--that needs a ATV-4K.

It took me frustrating ages to find this method. See <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202809#appletv>

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 6, 2020 5:23 PM in response to greatnorthwoods

Despite what many people are writing, you can still use your HomePod pair (or single) with your AppleTV-HD and TV using tvOS 14.2 and HomePod OS 14.2. The AppleTV setting for "Audio Output" no longer shows up on an ATV-HD in tvOS 14.2 but it does as "Default Audio Output" on an ATV-4K. To get paired HomePods as speakers using an ATV-HD, you have to use the Remote. Press and hold the TV button on the Remote until the control panel shows up, then select the AirPlay-2 icon and select your paired HomePods (or a single one) from the displayed list. You get stereo as before tvOS 14.2 but not the Dolby Audio--that needs a ATV-4K.

It took me frustrating ages to find this method. See <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202809#appletv>

after updating Apple TV HD and HomePod stereo pair to 14.2 sound for videos no longer plays on the HomePods

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.