You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine backup, disk not ejected error message

I bought a new MacBook Pro recently as well as an external monitor, additional keyboard and mouse, printer, and external hard drive for Time Machine backups—everything is new. I initially had problems with the TM backups, but that seems to have been resolved. However, I'm still getting frequent error messages saying "disk not ejected properly." This only happens when the backup drive is connected through a hub rather than directly to the laptop. I'd rather have it going through the hub. Could this be connected with "sleep"? When I first use the computer for the day, there are a dozen or more of these messages that have accumulated while the machine was idle overnight, whereas they don't seem to happen when I'm using it, unless I take a break. Is there a good solution for this? Is it actually a problem that I'm getting these messages as long as the backups are occurring?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 9:28 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 18, 2020 6:26 AM in response to NJM55

Hi, NJM55.

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities.

First of all, congratulations on your new setup! All new equipment can be pretty exciting.

Have you checked to see if your MacBook Pro is putting your external drive to sleep when it becomes inactive? This may be why you’re seeing the error message. Open System Preferences > Energy Saver and deflect “Put hard disks to sleep when possible”. 

Change Energy Saver preferences on Mac - Apple Support

Best Regards!

Nov 19, 2020 12:53 PM in response to NJM55

NJM55,

Great catch! It looks like "deflect" may have been a typo. The word "select" fits more sensibly in that sentence.

Try ensuring Power Nap is enabled at System Preferences > Battery > Battery and again in Power Adapter. Power Nap allows your Mac to keep using Time Machine, so it should prevent your external drive from sleeping when your MacBook is sleeping.

These articles may be more appropriate for your macOS version:

Change Battery preferences on a Mac notebook - Apple Support

Change Power Adapter preferences on a Mac notebook - Apple Support

Good luck!

time machine backup, disk not ejected error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.