You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dowloading Big Sur to an external disk

Ok, In my flat I use an old 2008 iMac (working flawlessly) with a superfast internet connection. However, out in the countryside I have a one year old iMac which will be able to run Big Sur once installed, but alas, with a superslow internet connection where it will be difficult to download something as big as Big Sur. Is there a way I can download this to my old Mac, for example onto an external disk which I then can bring out to the countryside and install from that?

Any suggestions out there?

iMac, 10.11

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 9:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 10:55 AM

FWIW, your only options would seem to be to transport your one year old iMac to the high speed connection location or, see if a local Apple Store, AASP, or someone you know with a Big Sur compatible Mac will copy the installer to a 16GB or larger flash drive.

4 replies

Dowloading Big Sur to an external disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.