You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur, Migration Assistant and Time Machine

I have a clean, pristine install of Big Sur on my early 2013 Mac Pro. I am trying to use the Migration Assistant to migrate my account/settings/etc. from my Catalina Time Machine backup. (I have an Asustor setup as a network based Time Machine server.)

I log in, launch the Migration Assistant, select the option to migrate from Time Machine. It shows my Asustor, I select it and provide my credentials to log in and it seems to connect then nothing. I click the Continue button a 2nd time, supply my credentials again and it just sits there forever doing nothing. (I've confirmed it's doing nothing by looking at the activity lights on the front of my Asustor and logging into its web interface and seeing zero network activity.)

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

Mac Pro, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 11:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 4:54 AM

Solved it: Using the "Other server..." option I had to enter the full path for the backup on my Asustor Time Machine NAS. (i.e.: afp://<local_ip_address>/<path>). I was then prompted to login to it (same as when I just selected the Asustor) and it went through the rest of the steps.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 16, 2020 4:54 AM in response to pritchey

Solved it: Using the "Other server..." option I had to enter the full path for the backup on my Asustor Time Machine NAS. (i.e.: afp://<local_ip_address>/<path>). I was then prompted to login to it (same as when I just selected the Asustor) and it went through the rest of the steps.

Nov 13, 2020 11:04 AM in response to pritchey

pritchey wrote:

I have a clean, pristine install of Big Sur on my early 2013 Mac Pro. I am trying to use the Migration Assistant to migrate my account/settings/etc. from my Catalina Time Machine backup. (I have an Asustor setup as a network based Time Machine server.)

I log in, launch the Migration Assistant, select the option to migrate from Time Machine. It shows my Asustor, I select it and provide my credentials to log in and it seems to connect then nothing. I click the Continue button a 2nd time, supply my credentials again and it just sits there forever doing nothing. (I've confirmed it's doing nothing by looking at the activity lights on the front of my Asustor and logging into its web interface and seeing zero network activity.)

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

Not sure why you would clean, pristine install of Big Sur on my early 2013 Mac Pro?

Upgrading is seemless.

If you are moving to a new computer—The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot— you have one shot here. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205749

If that opportunity has past, the second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

If TIme Machine is not working for you, use one of your alternatives backups.

Nov 13, 2020 11:09 AM in response to leroydouglas

The reason I use this method is the original SSD has been upgraded to a 3rd party SSD of larger capacity. Apple doesn't recognize it as a valid, installable SSD for major versions - but I can do minor versions without a problem. I have to upgrade the original, clone it to the new SSD and then use Migration assistant to get my stuff on it.

Nov 13, 2020 11:14 AM in response to pritchey

pritchey wrote:

The reason I use this method is the original SSD has been upgraded to a 3rd party SSD of larger capacity. Apple doesn't recognize it as a valid, installable SSD for major versions - but I can do minor versions without a problem. I have to upgrade the original, clone it to the new SSD and then use Migration assistant to get my stuff on it.

Maybe it is still your issue..

It is not to say your TM backup is corrupt.

Try a alternative backup.

Big Sur, Migration Assistant and Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.