You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto storage location

Where are my gigabytes of photos stored on my MacBook hard disk? How to I move them to my iCloud storage?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 6:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 1:57 PM

You just drag the Photos Library file to wherever you want it. If you drag it onto an external HD be sure to open it there by double clicking on it to verify that the copy went as it should and all your photos are there before you delete the original file from your Pictures folder.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 14, 2020 1:57 PM in response to Flash2

You just drag the Photos Library file to wherever you want it. If you drag it onto an external HD be sure to open it there by double clicking on it to verify that the copy went as it should and all your photos are there before you delete the original file from your Pictures folder.

Nov 14, 2020 11:08 AM in response to Flash2

Be aware that the iCloud Photo Library is not an off computer storage facility. It's a syncing feature and any change, i.e. edits, additions and deletions, made to the local library will be reflected in the iCloud Library.

One option would be to use a portable SSD drive with your MBP like this one from OWC (MacSales.com): OWC Envoy Pro mini.

It's small enough to make it easy to carry around with the laptop.

Nov 14, 2020 1:30 AM in response to Flash2

They are normally stored in your pictures folder, in a library called "photos library.photoslibrary

If you want to save space by storing the originals in iCloud - first you need to have enough iCloud space.

Then in photos preferences, iCloud tab, check iCloud photos on.

If you also want to save as much space as possible on your mac, also click "optimise mac storage". If you do this, the mac will only have lightweight (lower res/lower quality) previews stored locally, and the full size images will be stored in iCloud. If you need to edit or export an image, the full quality version of that image will be downloaded while you do it. Note that if you select this, it may take some time to remove the full size images from your mac. In fact they might not be removed at all if your mac has plenty of space.

If you use iCloud to sync your photos, then DO NOT delete them from your mac (or phone, or ipad if synced there also). iCloud is a syncing process, not a backup service. If you delete them on your Mac (or iphone or ipad), they will also be deleted in iCloud and all your other devices.

Nov 14, 2020 10:14 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Thanks -- I found the folder and my iPhoto Library has 72 gigabytes on it! I already had the iCloud option selected, and "optimize Mac storage" selected, but I need more storage on my Mac.

I can see that my photos are all in iCloud, but they seem to be on my Mac, also. I'm afraid to delete the iPhoto library on my Mac.

I have an external terabyte disk connected. Can I move the iPhoto Library to my external drive and delete the file on my home drive? Maybe create an alias?

iPhoto storage location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.