You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with hard drive on 2006 Intel iMac

Lenghty post, sorry about that, but I have tried extensively to Google my way to a solution but I have failed...

I have problems with the internal hard drive on a 2006 iMac Intel (iMac 20-Inch "Core Duo").

Serial number of the computer is W8***U2S , CPU: Intel Core Duo Processor T2500

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/27236/intel-core-duo-processor-t2500-2m-cache-2-00-ghz-667-mhz-fsb.html

The previous owner wiped the hard drive clean, and this is where the problem starts.

As there is no OS installed, I boot from the original install discs with OS X 10.4.4 that came with the computer.

Problems start when I try to install the OS from the install disk, as the installer does not find any hard drive to install to:

So I thought that maybe I have to format / partition / mount / test the drive, so I started up the Disk Utility.

Trying to mount it or verify it is not possible , as those buttons are grayed out.

Trying to erase the disk with standard options, immediately gives an error message.

If I choose the Erase Security option to erase by writing zeros to disk, the erasing at least starts....

...but the it then fails with I/O error after ca 2,5 hours:

I have tried to partition the drive with any numer of variations of partition format and number of partitions. It always fails directly with an I/O error.

I then thought I should try to format / partition /etc from from Terminal, but as far as I understand it , the hard drive does not show up, only the Installation CD.

And one thing that mystifies me is the size of the hard drive, as the device info states that it is 7,3 TB

The serial number of the hard drive is WDC WD10EZEX-00RKKA0

But when I google that serial number, it appears to be a  1 TB drive, not 7,3 TB

and to be frank 7,3 TB drive in an Imac from 2006 sounds very big. The previous owner said that the owner before her had installed a new hard drive, so maybe it is not impossible....) And I have no reason to not trust the previous owner when she says that the computer worked fine when she erased the hard drive (with the Disk Utility program on the Installation disk)

I am not a total noob when it comes to computers, but have not used Macs for a very long time, so maybe I am missing something fundamental here when it comes to setting up an Imac. Any help or suggestions are welcome, as I am kind of stuck here.

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 10:08 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Nov 22, 2020 11:53 AM in response to Ursus1968

Ok , so to update: I opened up the iMac and removed the hard drive. I then put it in a hard drive dock which I connected to my daughthers MacBook Air (running OS X Big Sur). The hard drive showed up without problem, and it showed the correct size (1 TB). Via DiskUtility I erased it and formatted it to MacOS Extended (Journaled). I put the hard drive back into the iMac and booted from the install disk. Starting DiskUtility, the hard drived showed up, but still showing the wrong size (7,3 TB)... The drive correctly showed that it was MacOS Extended (Journaled). One difference from the before is that this time the “Mount” button was not grayed out. Tried to mount and it seemed to work, Trying to run First gave a error though, stating that “Disk Utility has lost connection to Disk Management Tool”.

So, next step will be to try with another hard drive.

But I think it is strange that the hard drive appeared to work fine when connected to my daughters MB Air...

Dec 2, 2020 12:42 PM in response to HWTech

So... after switching to another SATA drive, I finally got the iMac to install OS X.

I belive the problem with the other hard drive could be that it was too fast for this computer. When I plugged the drive into two other computers, there was no problem. And looking at the specs for this iMac, it uses 1,5Gb/s transfer speed for the hard drive, but disk that was in the iMac when i bought it was a 6Gb/s drive. So I am inclined to think that the former owner switched hard driver before selling, and was not truthful when I asked if they had done so...

Nov 14, 2020 10:29 AM in response to Ursus1968

The drive should be formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with a GUID partition. The disc that came with the computer, are you positive it is the original install disc? If it is not then you need to locate a Snow Leopard upgrade Disc (ebay still has them) but frankly you are dealing with a relic. I would not recommend spending a nickel on the computer as it is 100% worthless and really should be recycled, it is close to 15 years old now. If you want a Mac that would be more current then buy either a new one and if you don't want to do that buy a used one from a reputable reseller such as macsales.com or macofalltrades.com or even better an Apple refurbished Mac from Apple.

Also, please never ever post personal information such as serial numbers, e-mail addresses, phone numbers etc. in a public forum.

Nov 14, 2020 10:41 AM in response to Ursus1968

Does the computer serial number return "Early" or "Late" 2006"? If it is "Late," the disk may not be the originals—the Late shipped with 10.4.7 and Macs don't work with OS versions older than what was shipped.

Lookup: https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/

To me, the 7.3TB reading and "Media Type: generic" sounds like something went terrible wrong when the original owner erased the drive.

I take it that the DU screen shot is from by booting from the 10.4.4 disks?

Are you comfortable with a diving adventure to extract/replace the old HDD?

Nov 14, 2020 10:54 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for replying!

Sorry if I breached forum etiquette by posting serial numbers, only did it to make it easier for people more knowledgable than me to help identify the problem.

As I have bought the computer second hand, I can only trust the previous owners word when it comes the install disk being the original ones, but from what I have been able to Google on the subject, OS X 10.4.4 was indeed the system that these iMacs were shipped with.

And rest assured I am fully aware that I am dealing with a relic :-) , but I happen to think it beautiful computer, and I am not looking for a more modern one :-)

Nov 14, 2020 11:02 AM in response to Allan Jones

Hi!

I ran the serial number at the everymac, and it was "Early 2006

Yes, all screen shots are from booting with the 10.4.4 install disks.

I am semi-comfortable with opening it up, I have looked at a few videos on how to doit, and it seems pretty straight forward, but lot of tight fittings parts to deal with, so I wanted to reach out to the community first, to see if there was anythin super obvious I might have missed, before I start taking it apart.

Nov 14, 2020 11:07 AM in response to Ursus1968

Sorry if I breached forum etiquette by posting serial numbers, only did it to make it easier for people more knowledgable than me to help identify the problem.

No worry. Happens all the time. Not an etiquette thing as something Apple sees as a security issue. Not sure why.

but from what I have been able to Google on the subject, OS X 10.4.4 was indeed the system that these iMacs were shipped with.

Again, that would be the case if it is early 2006 but not if a Late 2006.

And rest assured I am fully aware that I am dealing with a relic :-) , but I happen to think it beautiful computer, and I am not looking for a more modern one :-)

Hey I love relics. Many of the senior contributors here fit that description, including me! I don't tell my age anymore but my Medicare card just had its 8th birthday. We have a number of old working Macs that are older than 2006. Cost is not an issue for me--I like to play with the old ones.

Are you up to replacing the HDD? Rereading the error messages strengthens my feeling that this HDD is "sleeping with the fishes."

Nov 14, 2020 11:23 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks for the quick answers, it looks like I will have to open it up and do some surgery.

I am fond of older computers, so I dont mind spending some time and money (within reason, of course), but I have a iMac G3 up and running nicely on OS 9, and it would be fun to get this iMac up and running too (not on OS 9 though). I dont really plan to use it for anything more meaningful than mayby have a nice screen saver on it, I am in it for the tinkering and getting it to work :-)

Nov 22, 2020 12:48 PM in response to Ursus1968

Ursus1968 wrote:

Ok , so to update: I opened up the iMac and removed the hard drive. I then put it in a hard drive dock which I connected to my daughthers MacBook Air (running OS X Big Sur). The hard drive showed up without problem, and it showed the correct size (1 TB). Via DiskUtility I erased it and formatted it to MacOS Extended (Journaled). I put the hard drive back into the iMac and booted from the install disk. Starting DiskUtility, the hard drived showed up, but still showing the wrong size (7,3 TB)...
But I think it is strange that the hard drive appeared to work fine when connected to my daughters MB Air...

Hard drive technology drastically changed since OSX 10.4. This hard drive is a newer model WD hard drive which uses the Advanced Format technology which changed the default sector size from 512 bytes to 4K bytes. While some drives emulate the older 512 byte sector size it still may not be compatible with such an old OS. You will need to try and find a drive which uses the old style 512 byte sector size (or at least emulate it).

I would still be concerned whether that hard drive is health though since macOS did show an I/O error.

Edit: I should add that the SATA controller on this iMac may also not be able to handle the newer drive (or the perhaps the larger size).

Problems with hard drive on 2006 Intel iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.