You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use an iMac as a screen with new Mac Pro

Hello everyone

I had the cylinder Mac Pro and hooked up my old iMac as a second screen via a Thunderbolt cable . I am very disappointed I cannot do that with my new Mac Pro unless I dish out for an MPX.

Does anyone know whether I can connect my iMac via an HDMI to Thunderbolt or HDMI to USB C (is that the right version?) cable or adapter?

Mac Pro, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 12:55 PM

15 replies

Nov 14, 2020 10:22 PM in response to Johnnyjomp69

If your iMac was working as a display with a Thunderbolt cable it can't be a 2010 iMac. Those use Mini DisplayPort and won't work with Thunderbolt. Look for a Lightning bolt icon next to the port. If it's there, then the iMac is newer than 2010, and should work as a display for your Mac Pro if you use a Thunderbolt 3 adapter and a Thunderbolt cable.

If there's no Thunderbolt icon you must have been using a Mini DisplayPort cable (which will fit Thunderbolt ports but not work with a Thunderbolt display).

If it is a 2010 iMac and you had been using a Mini DisplayPort cable, you can use it with a Mac Pro, but the cable needed will depend on your graphics card. If the card has DisplayPort you can use a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable. If not, you can connect from a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port using a USB-C to. Mini DisplayPort cable, such as:

mophie USB-C Cable with Mini DisplayPort Connector - Apple

If you really want to use a HDMI port on the MacPro, you could use a HDMI to Mini DisplayPort Converter

https://www.newegg.com/p/183-00BG-00004

with your Mini DisplayPort cable. A simple Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter won't work because it is for use in the opposite direction, with a Mini DisplayPort computer to a HDMI display.

Nov 15, 2020 11:28 AM in response to Johnnyjomp69

Hello Less and everyone. I was very wrong. Sorry for messing up.

the IMac has a mini display port. The cable I have seems to have the same connection on both ends.

when I first got the new Mac Pro, that cable would not work. I found in the Apple online help that the Thunderbolt on the Mac would not connect to the iMac as a display unless I had an MPX. I don’t know if the 2 HDMI connections on the Pro count as an MPX.

so, with these corrections and clarifications, is it possible to use an older iMac, which has a Mini DisplayPort connection but no Thunderbolt, in target mode with the new Mac Pro desktop?

Nov 15, 2020 4:34 PM in response to Johnnyjomp69

Since your iMac has Mini DisplayPort, not Thunderbolt, it can't be newer than 2010. Mojave requires an iMac of at least 2012, so your iMac can't be running anything higher than High Sierra, so it will support Target Display Mode. This is also confirmed by the fact that it worked as a display with your older Mac Pro.

The Belkin Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable is for connecting a HDMI display to a computer's Mini DisplayPort. You want something to go in the opposite direction, a HDMI to Mini DisplayPort Converter, or use a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort cable from a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port on the Mac Pro..

Nov 21, 2020 10:20 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thank you, Malcolm, and everyone else who replied. I ended up finding a USB-C to mini display port cable (directional, apparently) and that did the trick.

Funny thing is I thought I had bought an HDMI to mini DP cable... that might have worked as well. Now I still have an HDMI open for a 3rd monitor!!!!!!

Again, thank you everyone for your suggestions!

John

How to use an iMac as a screen with new Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.