You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos and memory questions

On a brand new MacBook air with 250 GB, I got the running out of storage message, and Photos was eating up 192GB. All of this is from iCloud photos. I have photos set to optimize. Is there a way I can access my photos in iCloud without the Mac downloading 192GB? Ive now turned off Photos in iCloud, and deleted the Photos folder on my Mac, so currently have no photos in Photos. On my iPhone, all of my photos appear without using 192GB (phone has only 128GB), why does the Mac actually download each and every photo and video? And is there a way to have my cake and eat it too (see my photos/videos, but not have it all be stored on the Mac)?

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 8:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 7:28 AM

Hi,

I'm guessing that you had previously set your library to Download Originals? If so, then although you have now changed the setting to Optimise, the title is somewhat misleading and making this change does not result in Photos reducing the size of your library. Photos will only 'optimise' and remove the full file from the library if the amount of storage on your laptop becomes very low.

If you create a new library and set it to optimised straight away, then the library should be no larger than 3 or 4GB and you'll be able to see all of your photo as iCloud will only download a thumbnail. However, every time you export a photo or edit it then Photos will download the full photo. The photo will then stay in your library and over time the library will gradually grow. If the library ever gets too big you can always delete it and start again with a clean library.

One point I always like to stress though is that iCloud should only be seen as a sync service and not a backup service. I cannot recommend strongly enough to make sure you have another copy (pref multiple copies) of your library that is set to 'download originals'. As reliable as iCloud is, there are too many examples on here of things going slightly wrong and people losing their entire libraries .

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 16, 2020 7:28 AM in response to Jeff Benerofe

Hi,

I'm guessing that you had previously set your library to Download Originals? If so, then although you have now changed the setting to Optimise, the title is somewhat misleading and making this change does not result in Photos reducing the size of your library. Photos will only 'optimise' and remove the full file from the library if the amount of storage on your laptop becomes very low.

If you create a new library and set it to optimised straight away, then the library should be no larger than 3 or 4GB and you'll be able to see all of your photo as iCloud will only download a thumbnail. However, every time you export a photo or edit it then Photos will download the full photo. The photo will then stay in your library and over time the library will gradually grow. If the library ever gets too big you can always delete it and start again with a clean library.

One point I always like to stress though is that iCloud should only be seen as a sync service and not a backup service. I cannot recommend strongly enough to make sure you have another copy (pref multiple copies) of your library that is set to 'download originals'. As reliable as iCloud is, there are too many examples on here of things going slightly wrong and people losing their entire libraries .

Photos and memory questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.