You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur customise 'finder' toolbar

Is there any way to leave the Finder search box Open, as it used to be? That way you simply clicked the cursor and entered your search.

Now the box is reduced to an icon (despite the 'customise toolbar' option showing the box with the word 'search' inside it as it used to be)

With Big Sur, now it's another unnecessary click to activate the box, then enter the search term... And surely the idea of the finder, is to find stuff, so why have the search box closed by default when its consistently used?

(Having a clean layout is one thing, but hiding features for the sake of hiding them in a largely empty toolbar seems a pointless aesthetic, not a practical tool, ...and then having no choice or options for personal choice to alter is quite another IMHO)

Thanks

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 6:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 6:20 AM

With an open Finder window, just click ⌘+F in it, and enter your Spotlight search parameters in the newly presented search field. Beats reaching for the mouse to click on the toolbar search icon. Press the escape key twice to return to a normal Finder window.

15 replies

Nov 16, 2020 6:07 AM in response to davey17x

I don't see how you would have to click twice now and only once in previous versions of the OS. In Finder, just click the Magnifying Glass, the Search field will be there in a flash, and your cursor will be immediately inside the Search field, waiting for you to type whatever you want to find. There's absolutely no need to click a second time in the Search field. One click on the Magnifying Glass does the trick.

Dec 15, 2020 1:10 PM in response to davey17x

Whether the Search field is open or not depends on how wide the Finder window is. Shrink and expand the Finder window horizontally and you can see this in real time.

Another issue under this same topic heading:

I find on two macs with Big Sur that folders added to the Finder Toolbar don't work correctly. All folders added to the Finder Toolbar (command drag) only point to my home folder.

If I have the a in the Sidebar, though, then the same folder in the Finder Toolbar works correctly.

Dec 15, 2020 4:52 PM in response to Klahane

Whether the Search field is open or not depends on how wide the Finder window is. Shrink and expand the Finder window horizontally and you can see this in real time.

Thanks Klahane, but I'm not sure that's the case - maybe on a desktop? On the MacBook Pro it's an icon only, and I always have the Finder window at the maximum aperture.

Dec 15, 2020 8:42 PM in response to Barney-15E

"Thanks Klahane, but I'm not sure that's the case - maybe on a desktop? On the MacBook Pro it's an icon only, and I always have the Finder window at the maximum aperture."

It works exactly the same way on my MacBook Pro with Big Sur. Expand the Finder window horizontally and the Search field opens, shrink it and the field goes away, but magnifying glass icon remains.

Don't know why there'd be a difference.

Dec 16, 2020 4:39 AM in response to davey17x

On the MacBook Pro it's an icon only, and I always have the Finder window at the maximum aperture.

I have a 13" MacBook Pro and I can expand the Finder window across the entire screen at which point the field will expand, but really it's completely irrelevant. Click the button and your cursor will be in the field ready to accept input just like if you clicked inside the open field. There is zero difference except when you collapse the window width, the search is always available.

Have you added more items into the Finder toolbar window such that you can never open it wide enough to accommodate an expanded search field?

Dec 16, 2020 7:04 PM in response to davey17x

Mine is all the way on the right side of the toolbar in the default location. I've never moved it.

You have obviously customized the toolbar from the default. It may be that there is not enough room for it to expand with all the additional tools added to it. I moved the search to where you have it and it expands when I expand the window size.

Dec 17, 2020 5:36 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks Barney, I got the box back by reinstalling the default set, then adding the other tools back in..

So I guess some sort of glitch in the upgrade to Big Sur, as I hadn't customised it since Catalina came in and it worked ok up to the Big Sur installation.

I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it, there were several tools in the Finder bar that weren't part of my original custom set, (and I moved the magnify icon to make a point - but didn't realise the left side of the Finder bar is dead space that doesn't hold tools)

Dec 17, 2020 5:30 PM in response to davey17x

After experimenting a bit I see that in Big Sur, there's a huge amount of horizontal space taken up by the current folder name, which has large empty spaces on both sides.

Maybe Apple's trying to move us away from the customizable Finder Toolbar entirely, especially since folders command dragged to the Finder Toolbar don't work.

Dec 18, 2020 10:20 AM in response to Klahane

Sometimes it's design and nothing whatsoever to do with user function: like the rounded corners on everything now, so nothing actually fits well, and distracting background colours are peeping through the gaps, and I lose part of the screen because the app dock no longer fits close to the side of the screen, or the open app, so my work space is now smaller. (so much for the much publicised 'rounded' rectangle design...)

Or the missing 'new tab' function in the finder - the little + symbol that's missing until you have a second tab open.. but you can't have it for the first? Really? A little helpful feature that was always there, now it's gone, swept away as part of the 'new' design, not user functionality...

No one ever seems to consider how useful or used a feature is, or to keep it for user customisation. It usually just vanishes. PC's are absolutely the worst for this, so give Apple their due. It's just a real dud when a feature you rely on disappears with an 'up' grade.

Big Sur customise 'finder' toolbar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.