You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot set up Gmail account to use aliases

Before iOS 14 i used a manually set up Gmail account on my iPad to send emails using my aliases. When there were problems with aliases with the initial release I accidentally deleted the account. I reverted to switching on email in my default Gmail account on the iPad but of course that cannot send an email alias. I have tried over a number of weeks to manually set up the Gmail account going through the “other” process. However i get an error message that the password does not exist or is wrong even though i am using the correct gmail password stating I should set it up in Mail Settings.

I had today when trying again, an alert from Google a less secure app was trying to access the Google account and was blocked. I clicked that “it was me” which should unblock. But still no luck

Any ideas appreciated

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 10:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 12:38 AM

I have solved this by changing the switch in Google to allow “less secure apps”. I did not see that this was a requirement in any of the articles that described how to set up Gmail for use on iPhones or iPads to use aliases. I assume that the default to switch off allow less secure apps was a recent change to a google release

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 26, 2020 12:38 AM in response to clarkde

I have solved this by changing the switch in Google to allow “less secure apps”. I did not see that this was a requirement in any of the articles that described how to set up Gmail for use on iPhones or iPads to use aliases. I assume that the default to switch off allow less secure apps was a recent change to a google release

Cannot set up Gmail account to use aliases

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.