You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur vs. external monitor

Hello, I upgraded my MBP (2019) to Big Sur. When I plug in my external monitor through the dongle (and adapter between dongle and monitor), it is no longer recognized by my computer. It appears as an external device on my desktop. Any thoughts how I can get the external monitor that used to work great with Catalina to run with Big Sur? Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 11:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 1:56 PM

Hello there Porter667,

We're happy to help with this trouble you're having with the external monitor after updating to macOS Big Sur. To get this issue resolved, we'd like to have you try resetting the system management controller (SMC), and the nonvolatile random-access memory (NVRAM). Test the external display after performing each step:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Let us know if this helps you.

Have a great day!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 25, 2020 1:56 PM in response to Porter667

Hello there Porter667,

We're happy to help with this trouble you're having with the external monitor after updating to macOS Big Sur. To get this issue resolved, we'd like to have you try resetting the system management controller (SMC), and the nonvolatile random-access memory (NVRAM). Test the external display after performing each step:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Let us know if this helps you.

Have a great day!

Big Sur vs. external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.