You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SUM formula on numbers keeps totalling 0

No matter how many times I add this formula I keep getting the total of zero for my sums.. No matter how I add the formula either and I don't understand why this is..

Someone please help, I'm losing the will to live :/

MacBook, macOS 10.12

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 2:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 3:05 PM

Hi Annika,

What is the Data format setting for cells in column E of your table?

Try setting it to Number, with Decimal left at Automatic and negative numbers left at their default setting.

Your formula looks correct, although I would have converted the row containing it (row 10) to a Footer row, then used this simpler version of the same formula:

SUM(E)

The E reference is to all cells in column E, except cells that are in a Header row and cells that are in a Footer row. As you add more rows to the table (if needed), they are automatically included in the SUM(E) calculations.

Regards,

Barry

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 17, 2020 3:05 PM in response to AnnikaSmash

Hi Annika,

What is the Data format setting for cells in column E of your table?

Try setting it to Number, with Decimal left at Automatic and negative numbers left at their default setting.

Your formula looks correct, although I would have converted the row containing it (row 10) to a Footer row, then used this simpler version of the same formula:

SUM(E)

The E reference is to all cells in column E, except cells that are in a Header row and cells that are in a Footer row. As you add more rows to the table (if needed), they are automatically included in the SUM(E) calculations.

Regards,

Barry

SUM formula on numbers keeps totalling 0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.