You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur killed HP LaserJet 3600

I was surprised several months ago when I connected my mom's HP LaserJet 3600 to my MacBook Pro (running Catalina) via USB (with USB-C to USB adapter) and the printer worked! In fact - the printer worked amazingly well.

Then along comes Big Sur... and as soon as I connect the printer, I get the attached warning regarding "will damage your computer". Wading through HP's web site - they suggested running their uninstaller app... so I did. Well, that removed all HP drivers including for another printer that still works fine...). So I have the other working, but there are NO drivers for this printer, not even legacy drivers... I'm stumped. I really would like to use this printer - and since it worked just fine under Catalina... I do not see a reason for it not to work under Big Sur (other printer drivers are working fine).

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 4:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 2:32 AM

Hi,

1. Remove your printer from the System Preferences> Printers
  2. Install HP Smart App from the mac App Store
  3. Add a new printer in System Preferences> Printer (it should be detected)

Just did that today and it worked.

cheers,

Brice

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 19, 2020 6:36 PM in response to keash

The Smart App never sees the printer, despite being connected. But...

System Preferences>Printer could see it - and actually offered an HP LaserJet postscript option.

Unfortunately, that results in this error:

Smart App isn't so smart... (and my MacBook Pro can "see" the printer connected via USB - thats' why it will let me try to add it).

Big Sur killed HP LaserJet 3600

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.