You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete text messages in iPhone but keep them in iCloud

How do I delete text messages in my iPhone but I want them to stay in iCloud it seems like iCloud is downloading all my previous messages into my new iPhone

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 12:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 12:46 PM

One cannot delete text messages on your device and expect it to "stay in iCloud" if/when using - Keep all your messages in iCloud - Apple Support. When doing this, it'll be permanently deleted.

3 replies

Nov 20, 2020 10:43 PM in response to zinacef

I meant to say I wanted all of my messages to be stored on to iCloud instead of my phone storage to save space. It seems like some are being stored on my phone I have about 8gb of messages and this phone is brand new I literally started using it yesterday. My phone storage keeps going up and down I’m guessing iCloud is doing something.

Nov 21, 2020 10:11 AM in response to freshx391

freshx391 wrote:

I meant to say I wanted all of my messages to be stored on to iCloud instead of my phone storage to save space. It seems like some are being stored on my phone I have about 8gb of messages and this phone is brand new I literally started using it yesterday. My phone storage keeps going up and down I’m guessing iCloud is doing something.

No possible when using that feature (link above).

Delete text messages in iPhone but keep them in iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.