You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14.2: Each Track (Song) is its Own Album

Hi Folks,

This has been a long-standing issue in iOS 11/12/13/14; when copying MP3 files (metadata: ID3v2.3 & APEv2), the tracks appear as their "own" albums.

I just did a installation of iOS 14.2 after resetting my iPad to factory default (wiped clean). The only apps on the device are those that installed with iOS 14.2. The iOS updated was done via iTunes on macOS Mojave.

When copying an artist album from my network share (read only) to the iPad via iTunes (drag-and-drop), the files are copied to the iPad. Launching the iOS 14.2 Music app shows each track (song) as it's own album. Additionally, the Artist category is missing.

Deleting (removing) the files from the iPad via iTunes and recopying them results in the desired effect - i.e. all of the songs appear as a single Album. Additionally, the Artist category - which was missing - is not displayed.

Wondering if anyone has insights on what's been changed that now causes this anomaly.

Thanks,

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 11:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 4:24 PM

* UPDATE *

For those of "us" still using our personal .MP3 audio libraries, you'll need to ensure that the following ID3v2.x tags are present in your audio files:

ALBUM

ALBUMSORT

ALBUMARTIST

ALBUMARTISTSORT

ARTIST

ARTISTSORT

COMPILATION

DISCNUMBER

TITLE

TITLESORT

TRACK

YEAR

Those with Classical music will need some additional ID3v2.x tags.

Note

This will not solve the issue whereby "one" is unable to initiate playback of an iPhone album on watchOS 6.1+ and 7.1. (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250817561)

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 29, 2020 4:24 PM in response to H Gagne

* UPDATE *

For those of "us" still using our personal .MP3 audio libraries, you'll need to ensure that the following ID3v2.x tags are present in your audio files:

ALBUM

ALBUMSORT

ALBUMARTIST

ALBUMARTISTSORT

ARTIST

ARTISTSORT

COMPILATION

DISCNUMBER

TITLE

TITLESORT

TRACK

YEAR

Those with Classical music will need some additional ID3v2.x tags.

Note

This will not solve the issue whereby "one" is unable to initiate playback of an iPhone album on watchOS 6.1+ and 7.1. (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250817561)

iOS 14.2: Each Track (Song) is its Own Album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.