You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Files

Hello, I have a 2019 Macbook Pro and my files are constantly being thrown into the cloud and undownloaded from my computer. My storage isn't full, but I constantly have to click on the files and re download them to use them. This is a reoccurring issue with my mac and it is extremely frustrating. Please Help.

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 12:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 1:48 PM

If you want to continue to have files sync to iCloud but also always want to have a local copy on your Mac, go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID and remove the check mark in front of "Optimize Mac Storage" just below the bottom of the main window on the right.

More information about that option in the excerpt below from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you need more space on your device, iCloud Drive can help. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud. Turn on Optimize Mac Storage. Then your Mac keeps all of your recent files on your computer, but keeps your older ones only in iCloud, ready for you to download when you need them again. 

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 21, 2020 1:48 PM in response to jkabbani

If you want to continue to have files sync to iCloud but also always want to have a local copy on your Mac, go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID and remove the check mark in front of "Optimize Mac Storage" just below the bottom of the main window on the right.

More information about that option in the excerpt below from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you need more space on your device, iCloud Drive can help. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud. Turn on Optimize Mac Storage. Then your Mac keeps all of your recent files on your computer, but keeps your older ones only in iCloud, ready for you to download when you need them again. 

Macbook Pro Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.