You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C to Lightning / LG Ultrafine 5k Display

I currently connect my Mac mini to an LG 5k display using the main T3 socket on the LG display. I use the other three USB-C connections to attach a keyboard, trackpad and iPhone charging dock. So I've used up all of my USB-C connections. I also have the Mac mini connected to an ethernet cable and to a Lacie hard drive.

I'm about to take delivery of a new MacBook Pro (with only 2 USB-C connections). I would like to be able to quickly swap between my Mac mini and the MacBook Pro.

In an ideal world I would use the single T3 connection but then I would lose my Ethernet and Lacie connections. The LG display would be the ideal hub, but I'd need to sacrifice my 3 USB-C to Lightning connections. It feels like those connections probably don't draw huge amounts of power and don't hog a lot of bandwidth in terms of data. I could disconnect the cables (at least for keyboard and trackpad and use them wirelessly - I deliberately haven't done this as I don't want them to pair to one particular machine and lose the ability to hot swap between Mac mini and MacBook Pro. I also occasionally use the iPhone connection to upload photos.

Is there such a thing as Lightning hub/dock where I could use just one USB-C connection into the dock and then have 3 Lightning connections going out? There are tons of USB-C type hubs but they don't seem to bring very much to the party - a USB-C pass through and at best maybe one extra USB-C port and then lots of other stuff I don't really need - HDMI, 3.5mm audio, USB-A, SD card readers etc (the only useful one might be an ethernet connection to replace the one I currently have going to my Mac mini and provide an automatic connection for the MacBook Pro when I plug that in).

Can anyone see any other obvious solutions I'm missing?!

All suggestions grateful received!

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 6:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 6:44 AM

The ‘problem’ is that USB-C isn’t really splittable, so you won’t find docks with a bunch of USB-C ports. Probably your keyboard and trackpad can connect via USB-A, I have Apple’s and they came with USB-A-to-Lightning cables.

I’d suggest a dock like the Brydge Stone Pro, or a TB3 dock from Elgato or OWC. I have the Stone Pro at home, set up rather like your desired arrangement. The TB3 pass through is connected to an LG 34” 5K:2K ultrawide, the keyboard and trackpad are connected to USB-A ports, a Logitech StreamCam is connected to the dock’s USB-C port, and GigE LAN is also connected to the dock. A single TB3 cable from the dock connects to one of my 3 MBPs, or my wife’s MBP, or one of my kids’ MBAs and provides power, display, keyboard/trackpad (without needing to unpair/pair), webcam, and Ethernet.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 24, 2020 6:44 AM in response to nksimmons

The ‘problem’ is that USB-C isn’t really splittable, so you won’t find docks with a bunch of USB-C ports. Probably your keyboard and trackpad can connect via USB-A, I have Apple’s and they came with USB-A-to-Lightning cables.

I’d suggest a dock like the Brydge Stone Pro, or a TB3 dock from Elgato or OWC. I have the Stone Pro at home, set up rather like your desired arrangement. The TB3 pass through is connected to an LG 34” 5K:2K ultrawide, the keyboard and trackpad are connected to USB-A ports, a Logitech StreamCam is connected to the dock’s USB-C port, and GigE LAN is also connected to the dock. A single TB3 cable from the dock connects to one of my 3 MBPs, or my wife’s MBP, or one of my kids’ MBAs and provides power, display, keyboard/trackpad (without needing to unpair/pair), webcam, and Ethernet.

Nov 24, 2020 6:33 AM in response to nksimmons

nksimmons wrote:

I currently connect my Mac mini to an LG 5k display using the main T3 socket on the LG display. I use the other three USB-C connections to attach a keyboard, trackpad and iPhone charging dock. So I've used up all of my USB-C connections. I also have the Mac mini connected to an ethernet cable and to a Lacie hard drive.

I'm about to take delivery of a new MacBook Pro (with only 2 USB-C connections). I would like to be able to quickly swap between my Mac mini and the MacBook Pro.

In an ideal world I would use the single T3 connection but then I would lose my Ethernet and Lacie connections. The LG display would be the ideal hub, but I'd need to sacrifice my 3 USB-C to Lightning connections. It feels like those connections probably don't draw huge amounts of power and don't hog a lot of bandwidth in terms of data. I could disconnect the cables (at least for keyboard and trackpad and use them wirelessly - I deliberately haven't done this as I don't want them to pair to one particular machine and lose the ability to hot swap between Mac mini and MacBook Pro. I also occasionally use the iPhone connection to upload photos.

Is there such a thing as Lightning hub/dock where I could use just one USB-C connection into the dock and then have 3 Lightning connections going out? There are tons of USB-C type hubs but they don't seem to bring very much to the party - a USB-C pass through and at best maybe one extra USB-C port and then lots of other stuff I don't really need - HDMI, 3.5mm audio, USB-A, SD card readers etc (the only useful one might be an ethernet connection to replace the one I currently have going to my Mac mini and provide an automatic connection for the MacBook Pro when I plug that in).

Can anyone see any other obvious solutions I'm missing?!

All suggestions grateful received!

Sounds like you need to set up a wifi network.

The MBP is stand alone portable— you do not need the other peripherals(?) I don't get it...

If you are determined to use ethernet:

Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Apple

Nov 24, 2020 6:45 AM in response to leroydouglas

I have wifi, but prefer a faster wired connection. I also prefer a full size keyboard and 27" display to the MBP screen / keyboard. I use the full portability when I am not at my office desk (not so often nowadays!). I have the ethernet adapter, but I don't have enough USB-C connections for everything (the real point of my post).

Please see my specific comment on not using wireless connection for keyboard / trackpad - I want to be able to use the same keyboard / trackpad for BOTH of my Mac's without having to reset and repair every time - much easier to to do by keeping them connected with a cable.

Nov 24, 2020 7:17 AM in response to nksimmons

I wonder if something like this might do the trick - Sitecom CN-386 USB-C Hub 4 port | USB-C male to 3x USB-C 3.1 + 1x USB-C Female - the USB-C 3.1 connections x 3 could take keyboard/trackpad/iPhone dock leaving one connection on my LG display for Ethernet, 1 for Lacie hard drive and the main connection back to MBP / Mac mini? I think that the power from the USB-C 3.1 would be sufficient? It would also give me another pass through USB-C connection (presumably not as good as T3, but not bad) for something else (USB-C headphones for example)?

Nov 24, 2020 7:35 AM in response to nksimmons

nksimmons wrote:

Thanks - USB-A seems a bit of a backwards step, but I guess for the purposes of keeping keyboard / trackpad connected it would be adequate. Probably a cheaper solution too (shame I will have to junk my rather nice USB-C to lightning cables from Mophie!) as TB3 hubs not cheap.

USB-A is more than sufficient for a keyboard and trackpad. I mean, I could use my 14” pan to fry one egg, or I could rent a moving van to pick up my turkey from Whole Foods tomorrow morning, but those are overkill. 😉

Nov 25, 2020 9:04 AM in response to neuroanatomist

So I have just plugged in the USB-C to 4xUSB-C hub. I have my keyboard, trackpad and iPhone dock all plugged in and all seemingly working fine. The speed is just 5Gbps (I assume split across all 4 ports) and the charge is 7.5W (which I assume is also split). Given the low bandwidth and charge required for the devices and I can reuse my USB-C to Lightning Mophie cables that's a nice outcome. I now have two spare USB-C sockets on the back on my LG 5k display that I can use for an ethernet connection and my Lacie drive (not sure if Lacie max speed will be possible as I don't know specification of LG socket.

I also purchased the Sitecom USB-C to 3xUSB-C + 1xUSB-C PD which I figured would come in handy when on the road with my MBP. The speeds are better (10Gbps, but still 7.5W for the 3 ports and the PD on the other port is 100W which is more than enough for the MBP meaning I still have 4 USB-C ports at my disposal when on the road.

USB-C to Lightning / LG Ultrafine 5k Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.