You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

which optical drive is compatible with a 2019 macbook pro 16"?

Which optical drive is compatible with a 2019 macbook pro 16"?

MacBook Pro 16″, 10.15

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 11:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 2:13 PM

iteration3 wrote:

it works on my old late 2008 mbp

Share DVDs and CDs on Mac - Apple Support

Get help with the slot-loading SuperDrive on your Mac computer

Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753) 

14 replies

Nov 25, 2020 1:57 PM in response to neuroanatomist

Ok, so I just tried the drive on the other Mac notebooks in the house – a 2017 15” MBPro, a 2020 13” 4-TB3 MBPro, and a pair of 2019 MBAirs. It works on all of them.

That leads me to suspect the drive. When did you purchase yours? I recall reading a post from another senior member here that there have been stealth updates to the SuperDrive. Mine is recent, bought this past June. If yours is older, perhaps that is the explanation.

Nov 25, 2020 2:08 PM in response to neuroanatomist

I purchased the laptop and the drive in December of 2019 and never had cause to use it till now. Funnily enough it works on my old late 2008 mbp with a non-functioning built-in optical drive. I've also since found a few other forums that state that the super drive will not work with my current macbook pro. What irks me the most is I suspect no external cd/dvd drives will work with my current versions of s/w and hardware. So disappointing. Hopefully/maybe with future Catalina updates. At least the separate mouse, keyboard, and additional monitor are functioning. Thanks again for your help.

Dec 1, 2020 4:00 PM in response to neuroanatomist

I know what you're saying. I have no explanation. I changed the adaptors, I changed the drive (superdrive and then ASUS), I am at a loss for what to try next. You did mention that you got your drive in June and I got mine last December. If I can get my hands on a newer version of superdrive, I will try it again.

(And I haven't been able to find anything online about Remote Disk and Catalina)

Maybe in a future OS X release....

which optical drive is compatible with a 2019 macbook pro 16"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.