You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change side button from automatically hanging up calls in iOS 14.2

I have an iphone 11 and am having problems with making calls after updating to ios 14. The calls do not flash on my screen, and when I click on the side button, the call hangs up. I did not have this problem before updating the OS. I have no issues with other messaging apps, and have taken to using FB messenger to make voice calls, as it works much better then the telephone. I know other people have had this problem - is there an easy solution? The phone works well otherwise and I don't have display issues, just when I am on a phone call. I don't ever remember the side button hanging up calls on my other iphones, especially not on the iphone 11 where I need to lock it before putting it in my pocket on a call so I don't accidentally butt dial someone else.

I sort of expect that this will be magically fixed in an update, but very frustrating to do an IOS update and suddenly have a key function of the iphone - the actual phone bit! - suddenly not work as it used to. I noticed there was an update for iPhone 12s to fix a similar issue.

iPhone 11

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 3:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 4:55 PM

I've only noticed this issue since the new iOS upgrade, and never had issues previously. My phone is hanging up all the time simply from me holding on to the phone and accidentally hitting the side button. Again, this never happened before.

Similar questions

8 replies

Nov 25, 2020 6:54 PM in response to Michael Black

There is an exception to this.. I just tested with my 12 pro.. (and I'm pretty sure my 11 pro did the same thing)

If you click the power button while on a call and you have the phone up to your ear, it does not end the call. It only hangs up when the phone isn't against my ear.

I don't think this changes anything for the OP though, just thought I'd comment

Nov 25, 2020 4:47 PM in response to MDinEPA

When on a call, pressing the power/sleep/wake button hangs up the call. That is built into the hardware and firmware and cannot be altered. All iPhones from the original to the current models have functioned that way.

If a call is coming in, pressing the power button immediately silences the call, and pressing it twice send it right to voicemail. Again, those are hardware features that cannot be altered by the user. And again, they’ve always been that way.

Nov 25, 2020 8:00 PM in response to Chris0107

That has never been the case with any iPhone I have owned since 2008, nor does it apply to my current iPhone XS. When on a call (held to your ear, on speakerphone, using a BT headset) pressing the power button disconnects the call. My understanding has always been that is purely a hardware feature to terminate a ongoing call, under any circumstances.

Pressing the power button IS (and always has been) the hardware control to end any current call.

There is nothing in the current user manual for iPhones and iOS 14 that says that has changed.

Nov 25, 2020 8:15 PM in response to Chris0107

I’m just saying if it has changed, it does not appear documented in the iPhone iOS 14 user manual, which covers all iPhone models that support running iOS 14.

That hang up feature of the power button has never been a feature of iOS. It’s a firmware control feature, to always allow a call to be disconnected, regardless of interaction with the operating system.

How to change side button from automatically hanging up calls in iOS 14.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.