You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod mini

Will the HomePod mini be able to be a dedicated speaker for an Apple TV (HD)?

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 7:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 7:47 AM

I think the straight answer is no. I have an Apple TV HD and a single HomePod mini. For some unfathomable reason Apple have removed the option to set ‘Default Audio Output’ in the Apple TV Settings. So you have to do it manually.

Sometimes it works, sometimes sound goes to theTV speakers and sometimes I can’t control the HP mini volume with the Apple TV remote.

A bit unsatisfactory, considering it all works seamlessly with Apple TV4K and HomePods

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 6, 2020 7:47 AM in response to timw00ten

I think the straight answer is no. I have an Apple TV HD and a single HomePod mini. For some unfathomable reason Apple have removed the option to set ‘Default Audio Output’ in the Apple TV Settings. So you have to do it manually.

Sometimes it works, sometimes sound goes to theTV speakers and sometimes I can’t control the HP mini volume with the Apple TV remote.

A bit unsatisfactory, considering it all works seamlessly with Apple TV4K and HomePods

Dec 4, 2020 5:11 AM in response to timw00ten

Hello timw00ten,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand that you would like to know if you can use the HomePod mini as a dedicated speaker for an Apple TV. We're happy to help.

Check out the following support articles:

Use AirPlay to stream audio

Specifically, use these steps:

"Stream audio from your Apple TV with AirPlay"

Use HomePod with Apple TV 4K

Cheers!

Jan 23, 2021 8:54 PM in response to Vati80

It’s not that hard to use your thumb to select AirPlay to HomePods. It’s been this way for a while and we’ve all had to use it like this until they came up with the default audio output. Believe me you’re not missing anything, there’s some drawbacks to having it set up like that. I can tell you there’s no difference in sound, it’s just a setting to keep it on the last used so you don’t have to use your thumb 🤌

HomePod mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.