You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

erase macbookpro data

I bought a new MacBook Pro earlier this year and am ready to recycle my mid-2015 model. Trying to follow the instructions to wipe data on that old model before recycling, but when I go to disk utility the erase button is grayed out. I see someone else in this community suggested to boot up in recovery mode with CMD+R keys, but I still have the same problem when I try that.

Posted on Nov 27, 2020 5:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2020 6:19 AM

alysounmahoney wrote:

I bought a new MacBook Pro earlier this year and am ready to recycle my mid-2015 model. Trying to follow the instructions to wipe data on that old model before recycling, but when I go to disk utility the erase button is grayed out. I see someone else in this community suggested to boot up in recovery mode with CMD+R keys, but I still have the same problem when I try that.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac ...

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 27, 2020 6:19 AM in response to alysounmahoney

alysounmahoney wrote:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac ...

erase macbookpro data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.