You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my smart playlists created on MacBook won't sync to my iPhone

Lately, every time I create a new smart playlist on my MacBook on the music app, it won't sync to my iPhone. I tried disabling and reenabling synching on my iPhone, as well as on my laptop, but they just won't appear. But on the other hand, the smart playlists I already have will update and synch with absolutely no problem. I don't know what to do anymore. Everything is running on the latest software update (iOS 14.2 and macOS BigSur 11.0.1), but it's been doing this even before ios14 or Big Sur were launched

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 27, 2020 6:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 9:10 AM

Hello :) I discovered a few days ago that it’s actually because of the criterias i was using for my smart playlists. Apparently if i create a smart playlist with a already existing specific playlist in the criterias (for exemples if i want to create a smart playlist where only the loved tracks from another regular playlist appear), then it cant be synched to my iphone. I dont understand why this restriction was put in place, but i’m learning to work around it :) Thank you!!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 5, 2020 9:10 AM in response to jdo_apple

Hello :) I discovered a few days ago that it’s actually because of the criterias i was using for my smart playlists. Apparently if i create a smart playlist with a already existing specific playlist in the criterias (for exemples if i want to create a smart playlist where only the loved tracks from another regular playlist appear), then it cant be synched to my iphone. I dont understand why this restriction was put in place, but i’m learning to work around it :) Thank you!!

Dec 5, 2020 8:47 AM in response to axellefromlimas

Hey there Axelle,

We'd like to help get your newer smart playlists synced across your devices, so let's start ruling out some possible causes:

1. You mentioned disabling/enabling syncing on both devices, but let us know if you meant you disabled/enabled the Sync Library option.
  2. If you try making a regular playlist, please let us know what occurs.
  3. Please confirm if you're currently a member of Apple Music, or if you're syncing your iPhone by connecting it to your Mac via USB cable.
  4. You also mentioned this began before updating both devices, but do you recall what you were doing on both devices shortly before this first started? If yes, please provide us with as many details as possible. The more we have, the better equipped we'll be to help.

We look forward to hearing back from you, and have a good one!

Dec 6, 2020 10:34 AM in response to axellefromlimas

Hey again Axelle,

That is certainly unexpected behavior, and thanks for narrowing it down to it specifically happening in this circumstance. While you may need to reach out to Apple Support, we'd like to help rule out all we can with you.

Please keep us posted on the other three details from the last message as they'll help to continue narrowing down what could be causing this to occur.

Take care.

my smart playlists created on MacBook won't sync to my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.