You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to make separate Family Sharing accounts

Hey guys! I have purchased the family sharing plan for apple music, however we are unable to make separate accounts for the each of us. So for instance, my sister and I can both see each other's music downloads and all of our different playlists are together. My sister's profile picture is what is shown on the top right corner, so it seems that it's her account. How do I make my own account so our music is kept separate? Please help me out! =)

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 7

Posted on Nov 27, 2020 11:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 1:08 PM

Hi there  mustachioedcat!

It sounds like you and your sister are using the same Apple ID account for Apple Music. We'll be glad to help you remedy this issue.

To avoid sharing a profile, you each would need to create and use your own Apple ID to use for Apple Music, iTunes, the App Store, iCloud etc. if you haven't already.

"Family Sharing requires a personal Apple ID signed in to iCloud. If your family has purchase sharing turned on, apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books can be downloaded on up to 10 devices per account, five of which can be computers." Find out more about this here: What is Family Sharing?

If you don't have your own Apple ID created and are unsure on how to create your own Apple ID, look here: How to create a new Apple ID

Once you have created your Apple ID and signed into Apple Music by going to under Settings > tap name > Media & Purchases. Then, go to the Music app and tap the profile picture on the top right hand-side.

If your profile isn't showing, scroll to the bottom and tap Show Apple ID. If the Apple ID is incorrect, sign out and sign in with the correct credentials.

You should be able to make your own playlists now and no longer see each other's music. Get an Apple Music family subscription

We hope this helps.

Enjoy your weekend!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 6, 2020 1:08 PM in response to mustachioedcat

Hi there  mustachioedcat!

It sounds like you and your sister are using the same Apple ID account for Apple Music. We'll be glad to help you remedy this issue.

To avoid sharing a profile, you each would need to create and use your own Apple ID to use for Apple Music, iTunes, the App Store, iCloud etc. if you haven't already.

"Family Sharing requires a personal Apple ID signed in to iCloud. If your family has purchase sharing turned on, apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books can be downloaded on up to 10 devices per account, five of which can be computers." Find out more about this here: What is Family Sharing?

If you don't have your own Apple ID created and are unsure on how to create your own Apple ID, look here: How to create a new Apple ID

Once you have created your Apple ID and signed into Apple Music by going to under Settings > tap name > Media & Purchases. Then, go to the Music app and tap the profile picture on the top right hand-side.

If your profile isn't showing, scroll to the bottom and tap Show Apple ID. If the Apple ID is incorrect, sign out and sign in with the correct credentials.

You should be able to make your own playlists now and no longer see each other's music. Get an Apple Music family subscription

We hope this helps.

Enjoy your weekend!

Unable to make separate Family Sharing accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.