You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup disk asks to restore even it is a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) device

I made a backup for my MacBook Air to an external disk but then I deleted the backup manually from the disk. Then I removed the disk from backup devices from time machine, meaning the disk is still formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). However, when I try to reconfigure Time Machine, I cannot select the disk I used before for backup and it asks me to erase all the data inside it. Is it because I deleted the backup not from time machine but from manually inside of the disk? If so, how can I fix it?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 2:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 7:43 AM

I understand you deleted the backups from that backup disk, meaning you are expecting it to be empty, correct? There is nothing wrong with that. It seems to me there is nothing to fix. Go ahead and click the Erase button.

Time Machine now reserves backup disks for its exclusive use, so it's possible the disk was not formatted correctly in the past. Clicking Erase will fix that.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 28, 2020 7:43 AM in response to zeynep_aydin

I understand you deleted the backups from that backup disk, meaning you are expecting it to be empty, correct? There is nothing wrong with that. It seems to me there is nothing to fix. Go ahead and click the Erase button.

Time Machine now reserves backup disks for its exclusive use, so it's possible the disk was not formatted correctly in the past. Clicking Erase will fix that.

Backup disk asks to restore even it is a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.