You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to backup ipad with broken charger port

My sons ipad charging port seems to be broken. It will only accept a charge if completely powered off and even then it will take about 36 hours to get the battery from 0% to 100%

When powered on and plugging a charger into it, it will not recognize it nor charge. I've tried multiple different charger cables (both apple and third party).

I have a strange hunch that a factory reset may fix this and if it doesn't we will look into getting a new one. Nonetheless we would need a fresh backup to restore to the new one or after the factory reset.

Due to the charging port issues all my known methods of backing up are not possible

• Cloud backups require the device to be powered on and connected to power source
  • Itunes backups require physical connection to PC
  • iTunes wifi backup still needs that initial connection to the device for whatever trust reasons

It seems that I cannot backup my device at the moment due to this charging port issue. Does anybody know of any alternate methods where I can get a full backup of this device (including saved pictures, games, settings, messages, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

iPad (6th gen) WiFi, Cellular

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 6:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 6:26 AM

JBuratti wrote:

• My sons ipad charging port seems to be broken. It will only accept a charge if completely powered off and even then it will take about 36 hours to get the battery from 0% to 100%

If you can still do it this way, plug it in and let it charge to at least 75%.

Cloud backups require the device to be powered on and connected to power pictures, games, settings, messages, etc.)

Not true at all. This is only true about an automatic backup. You can perform manual backups without being connected to power. I have done it many, many times.

Once you have to a decent charge on the iPad again, go to Settings>Your Name>iCloud>Apps using iCloud>iCloud Backup>On>Back up Now. If you haven’t backed up in a while it could take several hours. Hopefully you will have enough battery power to get through.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 28, 2020 6:26 AM in response to JBuratti

JBuratti wrote:

• My sons ipad charging port seems to be broken. It will only accept a charge if completely powered off and even then it will take about 36 hours to get the battery from 0% to 100%

If you can still do it this way, plug it in and let it charge to at least 75%.

Cloud backups require the device to be powered on and connected to power pictures, games, settings, messages, etc.)

Not true at all. This is only true about an automatic backup. You can perform manual backups without being connected to power. I have done it many, many times.

Once you have to a decent charge on the iPad again, go to Settings>Your Name>iCloud>Apps using iCloud>iCloud Backup>On>Back up Now. If you haven’t backed up in a while it could take several hours. Hopefully you will have enough battery power to get through.

how to backup ipad with broken charger port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.