You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After Installing macOS Big Sur Safari and Mail are freezing and notebook re-starts

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inc, 2016) and recently installed macOS Big Sur as well as Safari update. It works fine within the first week, and then from time to time, it freezes Safari and Mail. I cannot even quit the apps. Either the system or I have to force re-start. I have been sending the reports that the system generates following the crash, but not sure what to expect, an update? It does not happen all the time, but it does when I'm in the middle of an important write up or else.

Anyone experiencing the same thing? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 9:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 11:12 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with Luis regarding Norton. There is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community   

Uninstall Norton according to the developer's instructions. You can check to see if you've removed all of the supporting files by downloading and running Find Any File to search for any files with the application's name  and the developer's name in the file name.  For Norton software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains symantec

2 - Name contains norton

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 29, 2020 11:12 AM in response to FranciscoCano

I wholeheartedly agree with Luis regarding Norton. There is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community   

Uninstall Norton according to the developer's instructions. You can check to see if you've removed all of the supporting files by downloading and running Find Any File to search for any files with the application's name  and the developer's name in the file name.  For Norton software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains symantec

2 - Name contains norton

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

After Installing macOS Big Sur Safari and Mail are freezing and notebook re-starts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.