You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook Pro cannot rotate display

I use my external 4K display in portrait mode (i.e., rotated 90 degrees) and when I do so on the new M1 MacBook Pro, I’m stuck at low resolution. Landscape works fine. I’ve tested with another display (different adapter and cables) and the issue is the same. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 4:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 9:43 AM

I spoke with Apple Support and these were the steps they walked me through, which worked (for reference, my Macbook Pro w/ an M1 chip is on Big Sur 11.1).

1. Go to system preferences
  2. Click Displays
  3. Find the window for the external display and make sure that the default resolution is selected
  4. Press and hold Option on your keyboard
  5. Click 'Scaled'

When I did that, I saw many more resolution options and selecting the appropriate one solved my issue with the vertical monitor.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 25, 2021 9:43 AM in response to Bidbrain

I spoke with Apple Support and these were the steps they walked me through, which worked (for reference, my Macbook Pro w/ an M1 chip is on Big Sur 11.1).

1. Go to system preferences
  2. Click Displays
  3. Find the window for the external display and make sure that the default resolution is selected
  4. Press and hold Option on your keyboard
  5. Click 'Scaled'

When I did that, I saw many more resolution options and selecting the appropriate one solved my issue with the vertical monitor.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

M1 MacBook Pro cannot rotate display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.