You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with downloading OS Big Sur

I have an Early 2015 Macbook Air 11 inch, and am trying to download and upgrade to Big Sur OS from a pretty old one - El Capitan. However, after downloading for about an hour, it seems to stop almost at the end, and the message reads "Calculating" on the App Store. Nothing happens after this, and it does not finish downloading. I tried to download it 3 times, and am on the 4th try. Any idea about the problem and suggestions about how to address?

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 5:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 7:16 AM

I see you have done your homework regarding compatibility - yes it is. Suggest going to Application folder and see if the is a Partially Installed App Called Instal Big Sur. If there is drag it to Trash and empty the Trash. Also, make sure there is enough Empty Space on the drive. See more about Space Requirements Here

For better results on downloading Big Sur, connect via ethernet connection where possible. If not available, move laptop as close as possible to the Router to minimize interference over Wifi. Disconnect any other devices using the Wifi connection.

If still having issues, try restarting the Router and computer and tru again.

Good Luck

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 29, 2020 7:16 AM in response to indumati4444

I see you have done your homework regarding compatibility - yes it is. Suggest going to Application folder and see if the is a Partially Installed App Called Instal Big Sur. If there is drag it to Trash and empty the Trash. Also, make sure there is enough Empty Space on the drive. See more about Space Requirements Here

For better results on downloading Big Sur, connect via ethernet connection where possible. If not available, move laptop as close as possible to the Router to minimize interference over Wifi. Disconnect any other devices using the Wifi connection.

If still having issues, try restarting the Router and computer and tru again.

Good Luck

Help with downloading OS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.