You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pages quit unexpectly

I have a MacBook Air and if I try to open "pages", it just says, "pages" quit unexpectedly, so there's some kind of problem, which I don't understand. The problem occured yesterday for the first time, but in the last days I had the same problem with some single documents, it just closed and didn't reopen. And now the whole app won't open, but I have to write an essay, so I really need to write in there...

Maybe someone has an idea how to solve the problem? I already tried to restart my Mac, but the problem is still there.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 7:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 3:11 PM

Hi,

I am having trouble with pages as well. It keeps saying pages quit unexpectedly. I try to reopen pages and it won't reopen. It seems like it is stuck on an open document and it won't close out of it. I am not sure what to do since I followed your steps as well.

6 replies

Nov 30, 2020 7:16 AM in response to katharina180

For Big Sur (macOS 11.0.1+), you will need Pages v10.3.5 for compatibility. If your version of Pages is older, you should update it from Pages in the Mac App Store. In your Finder sidebar, select Applications, and then click once on the Pages icon. Press option+command+i to open the Get info panel, and check the version of Pages .app there.

If you have Pages v10.3.5 already, then let me know in a reply.

Nov 30, 2020 9:20 AM in response to katharina180

Ok. Try rebooting into Safe Boot mode by holding the shift key on a restart until you see the progress bar. This will be a longer boot as it is performing several "housekeeping" activities. Eventually, you will have a sign-in screen. Try Pages in Safe Boot mode to see if it crashes again. If it does crash again, then click on your Desktop, press shift+command+G to bring up the Go To Folder dialog, and copy/paste the following into it:

~/Library/Caches

This will open a new Finder window on the contents of your local Library Caches folder. Press command+A to select everything in that folder, followed by a right-click, and move everything to Trash. Do not empty the Trash. Everything that you moved to the Trash will eventually be replaced after a normal boot, and by the applications that you run.

Now, reboot normally, and empty the Trash. Next, launch Pages and see if it now works properly. Let me know.

It is hardly any consolation when I share that I have no issues at all with Pages v10.3.5 on Catalina or Big Sur.

pages quit unexpectly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.