You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Pages couldn’t read the file. You can try restoring to a previous version.”

I have an issue, I am not able to open some Pages files on my mid 2020 MBA (updated to Big Sur), I get the following messages: "Pages couldn’t read the file. You can try restoring to a previous version.” Restore shows no previous versions available. What is interesting is that as those files are in the cloud for some reason I am able to open them on my iPhone! Happens often and when I restart my Mac all is ok!

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 11:51 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 10, 2020 8:13 AM in response to Spnbndr178

Hi Spnbndr178,

Since reinstalling the Pages app didn't help, see if something in your user account is conflicting with Pages.

You can isolate by restarting in safe mode and testing in a new user.

Test after each step to see if your files open properly.

• Safe mode 

1. Shut down the Mac.

2. Restart and immediately hold down the Shift key.

3. Release the Shift key when you see the login window.

It can take a few extra minutes to boot into safe mode. Your screen may flash or flicker when logging in to safe mode. Those behaviors are expected.

This has more details on safe mode:

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

If you're able to open these files in safe mode, shut down again, restart normally, and test again.

Have a great day!

Dec 7, 2020 1:00 PM in response to Spnbndr178

Hi Spnbndr178,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Apple Support Communities. We see that you're having issues opening some Pages files since upgrading to Big Sur macOS 11.

We're glad to help.

You mentioned that the files open fine on your iPhone, and if you restart the Mac, everything works fine.

This suggests that something might be wrong with the Pages app.

We recommend deleting Pages, and then downloading it again from the App Store.

This explains how:

How to delete apps on your Mac - Apple Support

Take Care.

"Pages couldn’t read the file. You can try restoring to a previous version.”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.