You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound Effects are playing from my Mac speakers when I have my AirPods connected

So, someone else already asked this question, but it never got answered so imma ask it again:

Ever since I updated to macOS Big Sur, sound effects have played through my Mac's speakers rather than my AirPods when my AirPods are connected. I will note that media, such as videos and music, are unaffected by this problem and continue to play through my AirPods while they are connected. I am also aware that you can change what sound effects play from, and when I do this, and set the sound effects to play from my AirPods, the problem is solved! However, the setting resets every time I disconnect my AirPods and reconnect them, and, therefore, I have to manually switch it again. It didn't do this while I had macOS Catalina that I remember, and there's no way that I can tell for you to set a default speaker for this. Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 1:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 8:22 AM

Howdy,

Do you have your Sound Effects set to play through "Selected sound output device"?

If so, the sound effects should match the output set under "Output" and when the AirPods connect for output, sound effects should follow.

ivan

Similar questions

3 replies

Sound Effects are playing from my Mac speakers when I have my AirPods connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.