You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder Help: I would like to organise my folders alphabetically and files by date

On my MacBookPro I would like to organise my folders in alphabetical order and the files within in date order. I only seem to be able to do one or the other for all.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 9:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 9:43 AM

philipfromwilts wrote:

Hi, thank you for your quick reply. Could you put in simple persons explanation please. To further explain my idea; I would like to be able to find my folders in alphabetical order and then when open a folder would see the files in date order.

Yes.

In your Finder Window— select a heading will organize accordingly, click the heading again will reverse the order.

Organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support

Sort and arrange items in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support

I find that the " List" view the easiest to read/organize:

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 1, 2020 9:43 AM in response to philipfromwilts

philipfromwilts wrote:

Hi, thank you for your quick reply. Could you put in simple persons explanation please. To further explain my idea; I would like to be able to find my folders in alphabetical order and then when open a folder would see the files in date order.

Yes.

In your Finder Window— select a heading will organize accordingly, click the heading again will reverse the order.

Organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support

Sort and arrange items in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support

I find that the " List" view the easiest to read/organize:

Finder Help: I would like to organise my folders alphabetically and files by date

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.