You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have Catalina MacOS 10.15.7 and can not upgrade to Big Sur. It says "there is not enough free space on the selected volume to upgrade. An additional 16.98 GB is required. What do I need to do?

Upgrade Catalina to Big Sur?

Mac Pro

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 1:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 1:21 PM

Delete stuff, copy it to an external drive if you need to keep it.

How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies

Dec 1, 2020 1:25 PM in response to bunny243

And, remember that you should have an absolute minimum of 15 GB of empty space at all times for the OS to function properly. Your "storage" is more than that, it also holds all of the OS, apps, and files and all of those need to room to function. If you allow the computer to come close to zero space available, it will simply stop functioning and you will have a very difficult time to try to create enough space to allow it to function because you won't be able to access it.

So, Big Sur requires 35 GB for the download and install; make sure you have another 15 GB empty space when finished.

I have Catalina MacOS 10.15.7 and can not upgrade to Big Sur. It says "there is not enough free space on the selected volume to upgrade. An additional 16.98 GB is required. What do I need to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.