You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro - Black Screen

Hi .. following installing Big Sur to my MacBook Pro 2015 13” . My screen has gone black . I have tried usual steps .. reinstalling, trying different methods holding various keys down and restarting .. as guided by apple support . My screen is bluish black if I poke it (apply slight pressure) it emits light where I touch it.

I seem to be facing an expensive flat fee for a headwear issue .. although it seems so coincidental that it occurred following new OS instillation .

Any suggestions or advise would be hugely appreciated. Please forgive my lack of technical terms .. I don’t have a great deal of knowledge in this area.

nb If I plug in my MacBook into my TV with hdmi cable I am able to see what should be on my screen.

Many thanks if anyone can advise

Amy

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 3:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 7:35 AM

Hi Amy_Free,

Thanks for posting your question! Having a Mac you can rely on is certainly important. It looks like your Mac display is blank, but the Mac seems to start up still, and you've done quite a bit of troubleshooting already.

It sounds like you already tried the steps in this link: If your Mac starts up to a blank screen. Is that correct? If you've completed all of these steps and the issue remains, that's when we recommend working directly with Apple for your options: Contact Apple Support

Best wishes.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 8, 2020 7:35 AM in response to Amy_Free

Hi Amy_Free,

Thanks for posting your question! Having a Mac you can rely on is certainly important. It looks like your Mac display is blank, but the Mac seems to start up still, and you've done quite a bit of troubleshooting already.

It sounds like you already tried the steps in this link: If your Mac starts up to a blank screen. Is that correct? If you've completed all of these steps and the issue remains, that's when we recommend working directly with Apple for your options: Contact Apple Support

Best wishes.

Dec 8, 2020 7:57 AM in response to ryane77

Thank you for your reply .. to update . The next day I took my Mac book to the apple shop. It was looked at the Genius Bar and confirmed that the display needed replacing. They informed me it was likely a coincidence that it went black straight after installing Big Sur . I decided not to send off as cost too prohibitive as my 4 year old MacBook Pro 2015 model has very expensive screen, due to anti glare.

Anyhow I decided to buy a external monitor and use it that way as the screen replacement was too prohibitive.

Later That day I got home turned my MacBook Pro on and my screen was working !!!

It has been all week with no problems at all . I can only think it was some sort of glitch connected to the update. I have no proof but I can see many reports of similar issues . I hope this helps anyone . So glad I didn’t replace it.

MacBook Pro - Black Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.