You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine hardware

Any recommendations for hardware (probably NAS) to use for TM backups of multiple Macs on the same home network? I had a Time Capsule, but its HDD has failed.

TIA,

Mark

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 7:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 7:45 AM

Backup disks you can use with Time Machine - Apple Support

The key is that the drive has to specifically support Time Machine. I had good luck with Synology routers, so I assume that their NAS' would work, too.

Similar questions

5 replies

Dec 1, 2020 9:36 PM in response to Mark92630

Mark92630 Said:

time machine hardware: Any recommendations for hardware (probably NAS) to use for TM backups of multiple Macs on the same home network? I had a Time Capsule, but its HDD has failed.

———-

Backup Pertains to One Device:

A backup is going to pertain to one device. So, share it or not, only one device can make use of it. And, If encryption plays any role, that adds security for the reason of avoiding confiscation of stollen data.

Dec 2, 2020 5:48 AM in response to TheLittles

@TheLittles - That is probably the least useful reply I have received in the almost 14 years since I switched to Mac. I'm looking for brand recommendations for hardware that other users are using successfully in circumstances similar to mine. I guarantee you that multiple Macs can do Time Machine backups to the same HDD, because that's how my one Time Capsule worked with my three Macs for several years.

Dec 2, 2020 7:03 AM in response to Mark92630

[...]I guarantee you that multiple Macs can do Time Machine backups to the same HDD, because that's how my one Time Capsule worked with my three Macs for several years.”

———-

Mark92630 Said:

Back up one device in there and you might confuse it all. So, use one drive per device. Nothing if a Brand was mentioned. Best one can do on these forums is comprehend it all. All the best.

Dec 2, 2020 7:56 AM in response to Mark92630

A non-Apple NAS will never be reliable, and Apple discontinued the only NAS that was: your TC. They're worth keeping in service if for no other reason than that. Its internal hard disk drive can be replaced with literally any standard 3.5 inch desktop HDD. Disassembly isn't particularly difficult if you are so inclined. But whatever you do do not get a non-Apple NAS. It won't work. Consider yourself warned.

NOS Time Capsules are readily available on a popular auction site, at least they were last time I checked. Prices are still reasonable but climbing as the supply of them diminish.

As for other options, literally any external USB / Thunderbolt / etc hard disk drive will work. I do not know of any that won't. No manufacturer is more or less reliable than any other. Speed is not particularly important. Personally I use drives pulled from discarded Windows PCs because they are abundant and literally free. Install them in an inexpensive (less than $10), slow, USB enclosure. That way you can have as many additional redundant disposable backups as you want, keeping at least one of them geographically distant from the others at all times.

You can also connect as many of those cheap HDDs to a Time Capsule as long as you use a powered hub. And the TC has to work (obviously).

Another thought is to buy a NOS or used Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station. It has to be the last model produced by Apple (the 802.11ac "tall" model) for it to be officially supported. Connect those cheap HDDs to its USB port the same way—through a powered hub. The AEBS does not even have to function as a router. It can simply be a client for the sole purpose of hosting those TM backups. Same for the TC.

time machine hardware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.