You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrading to Catalina

I finally decided to upgrade to Catalina. Now I can't see my desktop. The screen is grey with a picture that says setting up your desktop. As far as I can see, there isn't anything to click or do to change it. It just sits there. What am I missing?

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 5:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 6:12 AM

pjsfromGA wrote:

I finally decided to upgrade to Catalina. Now I can't see my desktop. The screen is grey with a picture that says setting up your desktop. As far as I can see, there isn't anything to click or do to change it. It just sits there. What am I missing?

If you are stuck, you can force quit the Mac by holding the power button/TouchID for ~6-10 secs.

Reboot and see where this leaves you.

Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac - Apple ...

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 2, 2020 6:12 AM in response to pjsfromGA

pjsfromGA wrote:

If you are stuck, you can force quit the Mac by holding the power button/TouchID for ~6-10 secs.

Reboot and see where this leaves you.

Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac - Apple ...

upgrading to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.