You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset Aspect Ratio in iMovie 10

I have been using iMovie for some time but now I need to work with a different aspect ratio -the old 4:3 ratio. I digitized some old family movies that were on VHS in this ratio. When I open iMovie I don't seem to get a choice. Anyone know how to do this. Seems fairly basic but I can't find a way. I'm working with Big Sur.

Thanks

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 3:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 4:05 PM

Hi, Petedr,

The 16:9 aspect ratio of iMovie's screen cannot be changed. A 4:3 video will display with black bars to make it fit the 16:9 screen. You can crop a 4:3 video to fit the screen, but that would mean loss of some of the image.

Here's an online help link that explains the process:

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mova56757e7e

Other than cropping or living with the black bars, another way to handle this is to export your 4:3 video from iMovie to your desktop. Then use the Control-Shift-5 feature to display a control bar at the bottom of your screen where you can select to record an outlined portion of your video as it is playing, to eliminate the black bars.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 2, 2020 4:05 PM in response to Petedr

Hi, Petedr,

The 16:9 aspect ratio of iMovie's screen cannot be changed. A 4:3 video will display with black bars to make it fit the 16:9 screen. You can crop a 4:3 video to fit the screen, but that would mean loss of some of the image.

Here's an online help link that explains the process:

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mova56757e7e

Other than cropping or living with the black bars, another way to handle this is to export your 4:3 video from iMovie to your desktop. Then use the Control-Shift-5 feature to display a control bar at the bottom of your screen where you can select to record an outlined portion of your video as it is playing, to eliminate the black bars.

-- Rich

Reset Aspect Ratio in iMovie 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.