You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Single external hard drive is showing up as two separate drives in Disk Utility

I have a 500GB external hard drive (SeaGate Free Agent Go) that was "partitioned" on a mac some time ago, and I want to remove the partition. When I plug it into my mac (MacOS Big Sur 11.0.1) the Disk Utility shows it as two separate disks, with two separate names (that I chose when the disk was separated). One of these 250 sections was used for my Time Machine backups 2 years ago, but I no longer need or want them separated. I want to be able to combine them again into a single 500GB space instead of two 250GB drives. How do I do this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 2:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 4:36 PM

Select one and click on the Partition tab.

You can remove the second partition and merge the free space into the first. You cannot merge the space from the first into the second.

Partition a physical disk in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

1 reply

Single external hard drive is showing up as two separate drives in Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.