You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compatibility between Apple (Big Sur) desk top computer and Epson Perfetion V600 Scanner

Is the Apple Desktop computer (Big Sur) compatible with Epson Perfection V600 Scanner?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 9:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 9:53 AM

See the following from Epson support:

If you upgrade to macOS 10.15 Catalina or macOS 11 Big Sur you’ll need to install the Epson Scan 2 driver below; however, this updated Epson Scan 2 version does not include Digital ICE. As a solution, we are providing the SilverFast SE Scanner Software free of charge. This software includes iSRD®, an Infrared Dust and Scratch Removal tool that you can use in lieu of Digital ICE.

Click on the following to go to their support site for the V600: https://epson.com/Support/Scanners/Perfection-Series/Epson-Perfection-V600-Photo/s/SPT_B11B198011

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 5, 2020 9:53 AM in response to ADM23

See the following from Epson support:

If you upgrade to macOS 10.15 Catalina or macOS 11 Big Sur you’ll need to install the Epson Scan 2 driver below; however, this updated Epson Scan 2 version does not include Digital ICE. As a solution, we are providing the SilverFast SE Scanner Software free of charge. This software includes iSRD®, an Infrared Dust and Scratch Removal tool that you can use in lieu of Digital ICE.

Click on the following to go to their support site for the V600: https://epson.com/Support/Scanners/Perfection-Series/Epson-Perfection-V600-Photo/s/SPT_B11B198011

Jan 21, 2021 11:21 PM in response to FoxFifth

I'd be very careful with the SilverFast software. First off, it's the SE version, with their scratch and dust removal functions (iSRD) removed - completely negating Epson's message. Secondly, the software hasn't been updated in quite some time and in my experience isn't fully compatible with Big Sur. It caused my iMac to become really unstable, with my Finder popping up the spinning beachball with every click. The whole computer became unusable, so I've had to remove both the SF software and the Epson drivers. I want to see if just reinstalling the Epson drivers is OK ... but then have to find some scanning software that's compatible with Big Sur. Not exactly sure what I'll do - but maybe I should just return the scanner and find another piece of hardware that has Big Sur compatibility.

Jan 23, 2021 1:30 PM in response to ADM23

I have a V600 and the new Mac Mini 2020 M1. You need to make sure that you use the Big Sur Epson driver or it won't recognise the scanner. Also the scanner won't work with the Preview app. I am VERY disappointed with the Photos app on my new Mac mini. If you use the retouch feature the Photo app crashes on any photo file greater than about 14 mb. it doesn't on my 11 year old Mac mini. I have been in touch with Apple support and they have tried everything to fix it without success. I have wasted my money on a new Mac mini. I am now in the process of having to reduce the file sizes on hundreds of scanned photographs.

Jan 23, 2021 2:48 PM in response to Peter Kendrick

Where did yo find the Big Sur Epson Driver? And what software were you using once you had the driver installed? I went to the page below, downloaded each of the drivers they have linked on the page and tried installing them. But the Silver Fast software still didn't recognize the scanner.

https://epson.ca/Support/Scanners/Perfection-Series/Epson-Perfection-V600-Photo/s/SPT_B11B198011

Compatibility between Apple (Big Sur) desk top computer and Epson Perfetion V600 Scanner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.